154.085 no pl

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaymatt1978

Hearing this AGAIN in Cape May. I have searched and can't find a fire dispatch frequency anywhere, I heard the tones to dispatch ambulance but never any towns to google

a417

oh, they're out there...just need a little more info to figure out who you're hearing.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
How clear is the signal? Can you post an audio sample? Here's what's known in the database. The red highlighted may be monitorable from your location:

Only unknowns from the FCC search query are stations in Mercer and Salem Counties. Not sure if they'd be monitorable from where you are (Salem, maybe?, though I believe they use 155.295 for alerting) Perhaps you're hearing a simulcast from a local dept?

Last edited:

jaymatt1978

Reconrider

I'll try harder next time to get a street or a station #. I KNOW it's NEITHER Delaware or Southern NJ because I have looked at ALL the counties around multiple times. I also know it's NOT Cape May because they don't use it for toning
Did you happen to see if it was analog or digital?

a417

What's up with the screenshot? Vallejo, CA isn't anywhere near NJ
I know, that's just the first of 614 listings of active licensees on that frequency. The emphasis was supposed to be on the Matches 1-10 (of 614) on a frequency that the OP couldn't find anyone on.

jaymatt1978

<sigh> I appreciate the assistance but reread my original post I know the frequency is USED in Cape MAy. This is a PAGING frequency and NO TOWNS in Cape May, OR NEW JERSEY use the frequency for PAGING that wass the big hint
I know, that's just the first of 614 listings of active licensees on that frequency. The emphasis was supposed to be on the Matches 1-10 (of 614) on a frequency that the OP couldn't find anyone on.

a417

Hearing this AGAIN in Cape May. I have searched and can't find a fire dispatch frequency anywhere, I heard the tones to dispatch ambulance but never any towns to google
just because you are hearing it IN CAPE MAY, and it is a PAGING frequency, and NO TOWNS in Cape May, OR NEW JERSEY use it...

[edit - and at no point in the OP did you say it was used in cape may, like you tried to say in post 12]

...and you subsequently said this,
This is a distant station

...means that you have already exhausted your local possibilities for sources and could be hearing any of a couple of hundred sources from all over the country when the conditions prevail.

We had a fire dept in central PA that used to simply hammer a rescue squad in south central new england (525 miles as the crow flies) when the conditions allowed it, so you might want to consider something outside of where you've already successfully ruled out. With more information we can probably rule out which of the six hundred odd possibilities there could be, lets hope they drop in a town name or a unique road some time.

To further confuse things and frustrate your search, at one time it was practice to strip PL/DPL from pager activation transmissions, as it increases the likelihood of successful decode...so they could be using the PL/DPL most of the time, and you're only hearing the post-page CSQ transmissions until the paging selection in the console times out, etc.

Have a good night! :)

Last edited:

ecps92

CSQ is common when Paging

Then as they announce who was paged and dispatching the PL should [YMMV] reappear, unless this a Paging Only channel [common when agencies have gone TRS or P25], how do you know it was an Ambulance tone??

Sporadic E enthusiast
Database shows Ocean city using the freq. From 6501 Coastal Hwy Ocean City, were the tower is located, to Cape May lighthouse is 38 miles.

Sporadic E enthusiast
With the recent weather patterns, I would consider something from Florida.

Does 154 MHz skip 700 miles?

The reason I mentioned Ocean city is because that is the only freq. in Worcester County MD that shows active and it has 3 fixed bases, 300 pagers and 0 mobiles. OP said it was a pager freq. he heard.

And then there is this

ecps92

Depends on the band openning, but Yes 700 mi would be a good one.
Right now with the heat/humidity here in Southern New England we are hearing our northern neighbors...

No not ME/NH/VT but PQ/NS etc in Canada

The reason I mentioned Ocean city is because that is the only freq. in Worcester County MD that shows active and it has 3 fixed bases, 300 pagers and 0 mobiles. OP said it was a pager freq. he heard.

And then there is this
View attachment 86846

Groeteschele

And then there is this
View attachment 86846

Depends on the band openning, but Yes 700 mi would be a good one.
Right now with the heat/humidity here in Southern New England we are hearing our northern neighbors...

No not ME/NH/VT but PQ/NS etc in Canada

Yes quite easily at times. If I use one of my horizontal beam antennas for DX I can hear more radio signals father then my vertical beam antennas.

Status
Not open for further replies.