154.250 MHz, Skip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
Currently, there is a nice opening on VHF-High Band. I am hearing a fire dispatch on 154.250 MHz, that is very active with a PL tone of 118.8 Hz. I have heard them mention State Route 546, with a possible barn fire. Also, they are talking to "Washington" units responding on a medical call.

I am thinking that this might be Richland County 9-1-1, but the PL tones don't match up. Also, whomever I am hearing, does have a repeater, so I can hear both sides of the radio transmissions. Can anyone enlighten me as to who I might be hearing?

73s

Ron

ibagli

I would guess Richland County. Everything but the PL matches up. They have a State Route 546 and a Washington Township FD.

Edit: I just checked an archive of Richland County, and a department had a run to 4688 State Route 546 on a possible heart at 2:54. Washington Township had a rollover shortly before that.

Last edited:

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Currently, there is a nice opening on VHF-High Band. I am hearing a fire dispatch on 154.250 MHz, that is very active with a PL tone of 118.8 Hz. I have heard them mention State Route 546, with a possible barn fire. Also, they are talking to "Washington" units responding on a medical call.

I am thinking that this might be Richland County 9-1-1, but the PL tones don't match up. Also, whomever I am hearing, does have a repeater, so I can hear both sides of the radio transmissions. Can anyone enlighten me as to who I might be hearing?

That was the alternate transmitter for Richland County, accessed via an RF link with a PL of 118.8 Hz. It didn't "officially" rebroadcast the tone (it's just passing the tone from the input). Would have made more sense to have the thing transmit the standard county PL of 103.5 Hz.

However, it appears as though they have upgraded the system since the last time I was up that way (late last year). And they just sent a notification to the FCC so it's very new. I'll contact a friend who works for a radio shop up there to see if he can give me some info...

Last edited:

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
However, it appears as though they have upgraded the system since the last time I was up that way (late last year). And they just sent a notification to the FCC so it's very new. I'll contact a friend who works for a radio shop up there to see if he can give me some info...

I had a feeling that it was Richland County, when they mentioned State Route 546. Likewise, Washington Twp. did respond to a rollover accident. Nonetheless, their backup repeater does transmit a PL tone of 118.8 Hz. Whenever the transmitter was keyed up, with both sides talking, the tone was always keeping my radio open.

At first, I thought that it was Defiance County, as they have a Washington Twp. FD. However, the run that was dispatched on State Route 546 gave it away. Conversely, Defiance County uses 110.9 Hz for a PL tone, which didn't make sense, but I thought at first they might have changed to 118.8 Hz, so they would not hear Williams County, which borders their county to the north. However, the more I listened, the action was much farther to the east.

73s

Ron

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I had a feeling that it was Richland County, when they mentioned State Route 546. Likewise, Washington Twp. did respond to a rollover accident. Nonetheless, their backup repeater does transmit a PL tone of 118.8 Hz. Whenever the transmitter was keyed up, with both sides talking, the tone was always keeping my radio open.

Just got confirmation... Richland County just put a new radio system in service. Three site simulcast, six voted receive sites, output PL 118.8 and different input PL.

Status
Not open for further replies.