Status
Not open for further replies.

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
i know this is cheshire fd but last few nights i've been pulling ny for sure on my pro-528 with just a rubber duckie antenna. sounds like fdny-brooklyn. anyone else pulling them? i'm getting the loud and clear and both sides of conv. to boot. anything else from the city come in like this up here?

MarkB513

New York City

I've noticed that at times myself and I think last night especially. Conditions must have been quite good because I was hearing a lot of distant stations on my 996 sitting in my driveway. All the main New York City high band fire frequencies are repeated, so you will hear everything. I've also noticed when I remove the DPL on Prospect's 154.400, Queen's fire can generally be heard. Those NYC FD frequecies are quite powerful.

jb872033

Could this be considered tropo. ducting? just wondering...seems a bit far to recive under normal circumstances?? I'm in cromwell and have noticed similiarly..

JB

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
154.37 is both Cheshire FD and FDNY Brooklyn. FDNY base stations are licensed to transmit at about 300 watts as so to be heard through all the boroughs. On a good night and a good antenna you can pick up all FDNY transmitters throughout most of CT.

If you don't want to heard FDNY and just Cheshire, put in a DPL of 205.

ansky

When I used to live in Farmington I would often pick up FDNY Bronx transmissions on 154.19 - the same frequency used for Farmington FD dispatch.

Even when driving up into Northeastern CT on I-84 into the mountains you can pick up FDNY.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
NYC FD has been simulcasting all VHF frequencies on UHF for a few months now.
New York County, New York (NY) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
They are set to switch over to the UHF freqs. before the end of the year (so they say). Unfortunately for us, the UHF freqs have many transmitter sites throughout the city, and therefore the high power output is not as necessary as on VHF. Hence they are much harder to copy than the VHF transmitters. Nice band opening this morning though for any one who wants to listen in to them on UHF. Set the mode to NFM for better results.
Bob

W1CRN

Premium Subscriber
Fdny

I live in portland and i get all the FDNY VHF all the time day and night like right now on citywide with 3 bars (11:02am) and from time to time the New UHF stuff. It could be storming out and i get them. I am also getting the UHF NYPD stuff all the time. I am running a BCT15 with a WBD-40 Discone antenna about 6 feet above the roof line with about 10 feet of LMR-400.

ansky

NYC FD has been simulcasting all VHF frequencies on UHF for a few months now.

Actually those UHF frequencies have been on the air for almost 2 years. I live right outside the city and have been listening since they first came on the air.

joehawth

KB1RRG
yes you will notice all FDNY freqs recievable in CT quite often as it shoots right over the sound. And yes prospect actually picks up a few things. I live in prospect and it used to drive me crazy before I programmed DPL/PLs into my radio for all my freqs. No worries now, but im not sure what i used to hear.
I had done a rather extensive search of the DB / FCC ULS and found that there is 1 other town in ct on 154.400, and besides FDNY i believe Springfield, MA FD. Not quite sure about specifics there its been a while but you can hear several municipalities on that freq in prospect

Status
Not open for further replies.