154.6800 Beckley Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

ab8sn

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys

Was just curious; for a while now I've been hearing activity on 154.6800 PL 141.3 for quite a while now and it's not the WV State Police (possibly some interference or bleedover coming across this Bolt Tower.) It sounds like a city PD or Sheriff's Dept. possibly out of Virginia but I'm not 100% sure. For those of you that live in or around the Beckley area and could check into this and pinpoint the agency using it, it would be greatly appreciated. Please forgive me if this has already been previously posted.

This agency has been really active as of this morning

73s Thanks in advance and Happy Thanksgiving

Chad

wvscanner

Database Admin
Have they gave any unit numbers? I will plug it in sometime Friday evening to the feed. I know the county had a private freq. at one time. The may had got another since then. Also just confirming you are reading it with .680 and not .860.

Last edited:

wvscanner

Database Admin
Yeah, now its coming back to me. Yes that is correct. I haven't listen to that freq. in years.

ab8sn

Premium Subscriber

Have they gave any unit numbers? I will plug it in sometime Friday evening to the feed. I know the county had a private freq. at one time. The may had got another since then. Also just confirming you are reading it with .680 and not .860.

I'm sure they have but I wasn't listening close enough at the time to hear any. Yes it is the Beckley State Police Bolt BCI Repeater 154.6800 PL 141.3. It seems like I heard their dispatch earlier give out a vehicle registraion that came back to a subject out of Roanoke, but that's all I could really recognize.

73s

Chad

wvscanner

Database Admin
Its been really long time ago that I listen to that freq. Back when I did it was a very busy channel. Most time was confusing on what you were listen to because it sounded like they were several departments on it.

ab8sn

Premium Subscriber

Its been really long time ago that I listen to that freq. Back when I did it was a very busy channel. Most time was confusing on what you were listen to because it sounded like they were several departments on it.

This happened to trigger my memory today because I was searching the public safety search bank and it stopped on it several times. It sounds to me like this law enforcement agency is some how triggering and keying up that Bolt Mtn repeater. It does seem odd though that it's almost constantly on there which makes me think there might be another transmitter using the same freq and PL elsewhere and maybe that is what's causing it. I guess also that freq is no longer used by the Beckley Detachment since all operations are virtually on the Statewide Network.

I'll try to listen to it some more and try to provide some additional info

73s

Chad

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
Hey guys

Was just curious; for a while now I've been hearing activity on 154.6800 PL 141.3 for quite a while now and it's not the WV State Police (possibly some interference or bleedover coming across this Bolt Tower.) It sounds like a city PD or Sheriff's Dept. possibly out of Virginia but I'm not 100% sure. For those of you that live in or around the Beckley area and could check into this and pinpoint the agency using it, it would be greatly appreciated. Please forgive me if this has already been previously posted.

This agency has been really active as of this morning

73s Thanks in advance and Happy Thanksgiving

Chad

State Police Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
154.68000 WPEQ578 RM 141.3 PL BCI BOLT BCI Bolt (Raleigh)

DPS ( Department of Public Safety ) - WV State Police is simple. Unit numbers, and locations spoken, like - Charleston,
Beckley, Elkins...ect., along with two or three digit unit numbers.
Even though the BCI folks have their own net, so to speak, last track I had...Again , last track I had, was they had encryption ability.

BCI gets involved in alot of investigations of different sorts and some, even sensitive. Last track I had, especially Parkersburg and
Huntington, thir comms was, or has the capability to be encrypted. You hearing unencrypted comms puzzles me, especially in the cell
phone age. BCI folks are private, seldom hang around others in groups, and are sensitive about their identity. Everything from routine
investigations to the secret squirrel undercover folks who hang out with the not so desireable people of society, to get criminal
convictions for folks ranging from 12 to 20 years, and whom frequently hand their cases over to the federal folks, so they can prosecute,
because the state punishment is not nearly as harsh as the federal punishment ( ex = Drugs - Conspiracy ).

If you hear something on the BCI net, that is astonishing.

FF - Medic !!!

Last edited:

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber

FF - Medic !!!

REALLY!! I'm astonished then! BCI3 Jefferson is used a lot, maybe even on a daily basis. I don't think the users of the BCI3 repeaer are all that secretive; I've met a few I've heard on it.

I do hear a lot of helicopters over our house and my wife works for Uncle Sugar. Ohh, wait, we are in a flight path and she does computer stuff. Wheew...I was starting to get paranoid. I guess I can put the Remington 870 Tactical back.

But seriously, BCI3 Jefferson is used as an alternate to the WVIRP if someone is in a dead spot or lowband isn't getting out. I can't speak for other parts of the state. Yes, the WVSP does have talkgroups that are encrypted. Maybe they have a need for it now. Maybe like around here, the WVIRP has some dead spots or something is wrong with their lowband radio at a detachment and using the BCI radios until its fixed.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ab8sn

Premium Subscriber
154.68000 WPEQ578 RM 141.3 PL BCI BOLT BCI Bolt (Raleigh)

DPS ( Department of Public Safety ) - WV State Police is simple. Unit numbers, and locations spoken, like - Charleston,
Beckley, Elkins...ect., along with two or three digit unit numbers.
Even though the BCI folks have their own net, so to speak, last track I had...Again , last track I had, was they had encryption ability.

BCI gets involved in alot of investigations of different sorts and some, even sensitive. Last track I had, especially Parkersburg and
Huntington, thir comms was, or has the capability to be encrypted. You hearing unencrypted comms puzzles me, especially in the cell
phone age. BCI folks are private, seldom hang around others in groups, and are sensitive about their identity. Everything from routine
investigations to the secret squirrel undercover folks who hang out with the not so desireable people of society, to get criminal
convictions for folks ranging from 12 to 20 years, and whom frequently hand their cases over to the federal folks, so they can prosecute,
because the state punishment is not nearly as harsh as the federal punishment ( ex = Drugs - Conspiracy ).

FF - Medic !!!

FF Medic

I've been hearing this for probably a little over a year now and I'm almost 100% sure it is not the WVSP since I am familiar with how their format works. It may even be some kind of agency getting into this system by means of some intermod. I just was curious on the agency that I was hearing on it I think that it is a police agency out of Virginia and also all traffic is unencrypted. Actually to be truthful I cannot recall the last time that I did hear the Beckley Detachment using it.

73s

Chad

ab8sn

Premium Subscriber
"Bleedover"? Public Safety agency, with a PL. Bleed over?

We are not talking keying your 5 watt VHF handhled near an FM car radio here.

Whatever you want to call it, it's a situation where an agency is coming across another agency's system. Also I'm not hearing a very distant repeater with the same PL & freq either. This police agency in Virginia is somehow getting rebroadcast over this licensed State Police freq. and NO I'm not keying up any types of transceivers while listening! I've been hearing this agency for many months now. FF Medic I do appreciate the help though.

73s

Chad

wvscanner

Database Admin
Which agency is it bleeding over into? Bolt is pretty high in the county. Also a great place to listen to a scanner. I can pickup Bluefild up to irp's in Braxton and Cable Co on the same mountain. The last time I think I listen to the freq. was back in 2004. When my neighbor came up missing and a State unit was there. They were using the BCI freq. at that time.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Which agency is it bleeding over into? Bolt is pretty high in the county. Also a great place to listen to a scanner. I can pickup Bluefild up to irp's in Braxton and Cable Co on the same mountain. The last time I think I listen to the freq. was back in 2004. When my neighbor came up missing and a State unit was there. They were using the BCI freq. at that time.

I'd bet anything it's VA State Police using their licensed freq. close the state line and keying up that dormant/unused repeater in the Beckley area. Anyone tried calling the VSP Wytheville office? They probably have no idea (if it is them) that they are tripping that repeater.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Div4.shtm

ab8sn

Premium Subscriber
I appreciate all the help guys. Maybe between all of us we'll be able to pinpoint the agency. It sounds like Jason is also hearing the same thing & yes it does tend to stay pretty active.

73s

Chad

wvscanner

Database Admin
I have add the freq. to the feed on Raleigh County. I leave it runing in it for about a week for who wants to listen to it.

W8UU

Pilot of the Airwaves
Premium Subscriber
I'm familiar with Bolt Mountain and its a radio hotbed. "Raleigh Control" regularly blasted out EMS dispatches on 155.175 MHz back in the day that were heard in Athens, Ohio. I'd be willing to bet an out of state agency was licensed for a repeater output on the same frequency that the Bolt Mountain repeater uses as an input. Check 155.64 MHz and 156.21 MHz (the two repeater input frequencies listed on the WPEQ-578 license) for a repeater output in Virginia. That agency probably has the same PL tone and when someone talks through their repeater, it triggers a rebroadcast in Beckley.

This isn't that uncommon in the VHF high band frequencies. Years ago, Portsmouth Ohio's garbage trucks and snow plows operated on 158.76 MHz using a 127.3 hZ PL tone ... which would occasionally retransmit on the Charleston WV EMS repeater on 154.04 MHz that used 158.76 MHz as the input channel. The Wapakoneta (Ohio) Police Department secured a new base station frequency of 158.88 MHz and they chose 136.5 hZ as a PL tone ... causing the Delaware County Fire and EMS dispatch simulcast system (80 miles away) on 154.19 MHz to lock up with license plate checks and other law enforcement traffic. With non-standard pairing of input and output frequencies, all it takes is to choose the right (wrong!?) PL tone and you are rebroadcasting yourself a hundred miles away on someone else's radio system and you probably don't realize it!

The cure, of course, is for the offending agency to change PL tones.

Rick, W8UU

Status
Not open for further replies.