154.785 Montgomery Co NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
My career dispatch center solved that problem over 30 years ago by issuing headsets to all dispatchers and phone operators and removing the mics from the consoles. And the reasoning was exactly the problem noted here.

But if Oneida County did that, that would make Sense!!! OMG we cant do that, god knows would would happen then, things might work right afterwords.

KB2RSK

Jim,
I'm likely to the west of you (Stark) Don't seem to have a problem but I'll keep an ear out.

I know if you're monitoring Herkimer county at all you will hear a LOT of up/down signal strength until the end of the year. Then we are supposed to all be over on NB gear.

Do you know if the scanners like models pro 107 and pro 106 are capabale of receiving the NB freq?
I went through the manuals and do not see where you adjust to having one particular channel set to NB or WB.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
But if Oneida County did that, that would make Sense!!! OMG we cant do that, god knows would would happen then, things might work right afterwords.

Back in the 1970's, some of the RPD cops thought it would be great fun to be really lazy and not pick up the mic to talk to the dispatcher. They'd just reach out and push the PTT button from several feet away.

To cure them of that, I'd take off my headset, throw it in a desk drawer, close the drawer and then respond to them, usually with a fairly long transmission like a DMV data or such. When the officers replied, they were suddenly loud and clear. Imagine that?

It only took a couple of instances of that, and the officers stopped that foolishness all together. The first time I did it, my sergeant was standing next to me. He almost fell on the floor laughing so hard.

snorkle

Do you know if the scanners like models pro 107 and pro 106 are capabale of receiving the NB freq?
I went through the manuals and do not see where you adjust to having one particular channel set to NB or WB.

Yes, go to Flex Steps and click on 12.5. Under the expert setting menu
wb2gye

Last edited:

k2hz

Database Admin
Yes, go to Flex Steps and click on 12.5. Under the expert setting menu
wb2gye

That will take care of the UHF band but VHF requires 7.5 or 2.5 steps that the scanner is not capable of.

The best you can do is program the nearest 5 kHz step.

Even if the newer scanners can do the required frequency steps, I don't believe most have true narrow band selectivity. They are still basically a wide band receiver so you will have poor audio recovery and adjacent channel interference issues.

D

DaveNF2G

We never could get some police officers to take their microphones off the clips, though. :)

I heard that Radio Center used to defeat the feature in the radios that was supposed to prevent that.

D

DaveNF2G

My GRE scanners only show NFM on 800 MHz signals. I'm not sure the receivers can really distinguish WBFM from NBFM on VHF or UHF.

k2hz

Database Admin
My GRE scanners only show NFM on 800 MHz signals. I'm not sure the receivers can really distinguish WBFM from NBFM on VHF or UHF.

Maybe we should start a thread about issues with scanners and narrow band reception and/or users that want to mumble while facing away from the mic but, since we have drifted off to those topics -

The PSR-500 under "expert" settings allows you to override the defaults to program "NFM" mode per conventional object or TSYS but it says it has no effect on digital signals. It appears to give a slight audio boost to try and match the level of other channels that are FM but it seems to do nothing for the selectivity or signal to noise ratio in the NFM mode.

My most outrageous experience with users that would not talk into the mic properly was a case where the supervisor got fed up with the dispatchers not talking into the gooseneck console mics so he ordered them to use Plantronics headsets and had the console mics removed. It was good for a few days then the radio shop got a call out on the evening shift that the dispatcher was unreadable with weak audio and a terrible AC hum. The radio tech responded and found the dispatcher had converted the headset to a desk mic by attaching it to a flourescent desk lamp with a rubber band.

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
Maybe we should start a thread about issues with scanners and narrow band reception and/or users that want to mumble while facing away from the mic but, since we have drifted off to those topics -

Get off topic? on RR Forums? nevvvver

My most outrageous experience with users that would not talk into the mic properly was a case where the supervisor got fed up with the dispatchers not talking into the gooseneck console mics so he ordered them to use Plantronics headsets and had the console mics removed. It was good for a few days then the radio shop got a call out on the evening shift that the dispatcher was unreadable with weak audio and a terrible AC hum. The radio tech responded and found the dispatcher had converted the headset to a desk mic by attaching it to a flourescent desk lamp with a rubber band.

That is funny XD lol. I myself prefer a desk mic over a headset, i just dont like the feeling of anything on my head except my hat. As i was typing that i was thinking what about a blue tooth ear piece, that would prolly work just the same as a headset wouldent it?

KB2RSK

Get off topic? on RR Forums? nevvvver

That is funny XD lol. I myself prefer a desk mic over a headset, i just dont like the feeling of anything on my head except my hat. As i was typing that i was thinking what about a blue tooth ear piece, that would prolly work just the same as a headset wouldent it?

That might be the whole answer to this low audio question.The scanner itself is not capable of receiving the NB and it is not allowing full receive audio from the received freq.Just wished that maybe someone who is in range of receiving the 154.785 repeater on a solid copy could intrepret to me what is actually going on.It might be the repeater having issues and the county isn't putting money into repairs at this time.
If you like maybe if you are a Ham OPR we can have a QSO on this and discuss more.
Thanks for all the responses and help
73's From KB2RSK

k2hz

Database Admin
I am out of range of Montgomery Co but I have observed an ongoing similar situation with Wayne Co Sheriff on both of their channels.

When they first put their narrow band system on the air it had great audio on both the repeated mobile audio and the dispatchers. The only glitch was a very noticeable burst of voter system control tones at the end of each mobile transmission.

After a while they did some "improvement", possibly a change in the voting system since the control tone is no longer heard, and since then I see a maximum of 1.5 kHz deviation from the dispatchers and repeat mobile audio ranges from a maximum of 1.0 kHz down to around 0.25kHz (lower than the PL tone). The mobile audio seems to depend on which receiver site is voted with some areas consistently terrible.

I have seen discussions on Motorola forums that could account for the problem. The Motorola line level setting procedure is confusing and, if followed to the letter, results in 60% maximum modulation which happens to be 1.5 kHz in a 2.5 kHz narrow band system.

I am listening on commercial narrow band equipment and I don't know how their users can stand it but it has been that way for a long time and they seem to be happy. Similar narrow band Motorola systems in other area counties like Wyoming sound great. It seems to be an issue of how the system maintainer sets levels. Sloppy audio level settings that were minor issues on wide band system really become apparent on narrow band.

D

DaveNF2G

It sounds like the Motorola shop techs are "narrowbanding" already narrowband equipment.

KB2RSK

Montgomery Co Ny 154.785

Has anybody got News or Updates as to what is going on with Montgomery Co NY 154.785 ?
I ask this because,I am still hearing Low Audio on the repeater output from the portables and mobiles, while the dispatch input appears to be loud and clear.
Just wondering if they are preparing to go digital, or if the repaeter i having problems.
It's been going on for some time now.
Any Body know of any trunk freq's that could be heard in the western part of Montgomer Co NY ?

Catch me on HF KB2RSK

D

DaveNF2G

The best way to find out what your equipment can hear from your location is to search for signals.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
I wonder if they set the repeater to narrow before they set up the mobiles. That would cause a problem as the mobiles were 5kc and the repeater is now transmitting 1/2 of that or 2.5kc. Then when they do the mobiles you have 1/2 the deviation (5kc to now 2.5 kc) going through a repeater which is already set to 2.5kc and the result as some one said would be 1.25kc deviation which is extremely low TX audio. If the dispatcher is wire line controlled they would be transmitting at 2.5kc. Sounds like Motorola or whatever shop is doing the work needs some basic radio theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.