154.875-2 tone paging?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwelty

In listening to Champaign County SO on 154.875, I have been receiving a 2 tone encoded paging tones but never any voice annoucements. It is NOT Champaign County transmitting these tones. The two tone encoding are different tones at times, without any other transmission before or after the tones. I have heard it very well in Bellefontaine on a mobile but also hear it in the Champaign County area. Does anyone know anything?

Thanks,
Dan Welty KD8QDN
Christiansburg

cann1995

Premium Subscriber
I have heard the exact tone you are referring to on the Champaign County frequency from the scanner at the Sheriff's Office for as long as I can remember. The scanner antenna is on our Radio Tower but Im not sure how far up the antenna is off the ground. Its a 3 sec to 1 sec tone and I too have never heard voice with it. The closest Ohio agency to both of us that is licensed on that frequency is Darke County Sheriff as a Tac Channel however, it is licensed with their County Fire frequency not their Law frequencies.

dwelty

Its not Darke County, they use it as a car-to-car channel for the sheriff. I can hear it on a portable sometimes, but could hear it very well in Bellefontaine on a portable on a mobile 5/8 wave antenna. Others I have heard, and do not believe it is them is Lexington-Fayette County Ky, Brown County Indiana, Defiance County Ohio.

Anyone??
Thanks

FireDawgEMT22

Could possibly be a time encode for a siren fir a fire dept..though i don't know why they would use that freq....but it would explain the lack of voice....or maybe something else remotely operated....you can set up a pager to turn anything on or off with some electronics know how and some transistors

dwelty

I agree, it could be doing about anything. Does anyone know what Marion County uses this frequency for? Nothing in the database other then their license. Thanks

dwelty

Received this two tone paging transmission with a PL tone of 91.5 hz. I have ruled out the following:

In Ohio
Champaign County is 192.8
Lorain County is 123.0
Defiance County is 186.2
Lexington-Fayette County KY is 141.3
Brown County Indiana is 110.9

I have received all of these and ruled out any of them as the source of these transmissions. Anyone know anything on Marion's use? Nothing in the database.

Thanks

dwelty

City of Urbana has this to talk to Champaign County as needed. They do not use it on a regular basis, and when they do, it is thru the Chanpaign County repeater (192.8 hz).

Status
Not open for further replies.