154.950 uses in FL

Status
Not open for further replies.

edweirdFL

I see that 154.950 MHz is a Sheriff's Net frequency in FL. I've been hearing some stuff in conjunction with the Biketoberfest events at the racetrack (DIS) that seem to be non-LEO users, working track safety. (CSQ)

Is that an unusual use of this freq based on your past monitoring? (in FL)

Ed

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
I've had that frequency programmed in my radios for years. Never heard any activity on it in South Florida. I'm surprised that you've heard anything at all on that one.

Vern

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I have to agree with Joe. I worked at an SO in south FL for over 25 years and we never even had it in our radios. We used the intercity freq 155.370 for most of the intersystem comms in the early days. Once we got synthesized radios we had all of the other local PD's and adjacent county's VHF SO channels in our radios for direct comms when needed.

A lot of small agencies that only had a single VHF channel often used 155.370 as their "channel two".

But I never heard any activity on 154.950 even though I kept it in my scanner for years. Other parts of the state may have a different story.

\V/ e r n

khvfdff

Up here in my area (Clay County NE of Gainesville and S of Jacksonville) I hear it very rarely used. I do know that it is used for those counties that need to communicate with each other that are not on a trunking system otherwise it is patched into a 800 Mutual Aid Channel which is then in turned patched into a trunking talkgroup if a VHF user needs to talk to an 800 system user.

itinkham

Database Admin
Last year, when I lived in Central Florida, I heard a lot of chit-chat on that frequency. Sounded like LEOs discussing their day in a casual manner, using it as a CB-like channel.

Now that I am in South Florida, I don't hear a thing there. 155.37 Intercity is used in Dade County and the rest of the mutual aid comms are on the 800 MHz "TAC" channels.

-Ian
Fort Lauderdale

Mozilla

Well we have it in our radios, but since just about everything around us is 800MHZ, there nobody on it. In 20 years, I think we have used it once, 155.370 is and was in more radios. Seems many agencies down here, did not know about 155.475, but we have used that quite a bit more, with agencies and USCG etc.

edweirdFL

wsmoore said:
it is part of the State of Florida's interop frequencies.It will be in every county in the State of Florida.

That's a great web page, and in fact that's why I had entered it into my scanner.

I'd now say that based on responses that the usage I heard is unusual and not typical.

As an update, CTCSS tone 118.8 was being used. I think I missed programming it for tone search yesterday and assumed CSQ in error.

Thanks for the resposes everyone.

Ed

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
Well, I can say for certain that CBP/ICE (formerly US Customs) has had that frequency programmed in their radios for a long time. I have been told that they have used it at times when working with USCG and the former INS.

harrisjt

Premium Subscriber
In

we have had that freq and the intercity operational here in bay county for years and still today
155.370 MHz is intercity and is a 300 watt tone remote base station avalable to all consoles and all agencys, also before we had the 800 system this is what the other county and city agencys in the county used to talk to the other dispach centers
154.950mhz is the emerg and is a 300 watt tone remote base station avalable to all consoles and LE users
and before the 800 we were uhf and our ch 4 was 460.275 in all public safety radios

now with the 800 system we have a intercity talkgroup pached to the intercity, 460.275 MA freq(repeater still up too) and the MA tac 2 800 freq and we are working with the state to patch to one of the statewide edacs ma talkgroups.

wow this brought back an incident back in 2000 just before the 800 system
it was night shift and the walton county sheriff came up on our primary channel calling a pursuit and he was very drunk turns out he had no pursuit and he was at his house in walton county. i have the recording somewhere

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
154.950 was a repeater channel used by Broward County Sheriff's Dept. for many years. It was their channel 3, their main tactical channel when they were still using VHF high band. They stopped using VHF high band about 10 years ago when they switched to their trunked system. In many parts of Florida 154.950 was considered the "sheriff's net", a type of mutual aid frequency.

Gatorman

W4KKR has it right. That freq was used by Sheriff's Offices, primarily in Central and North Florida counties to communicate with each other. It was also in virtually all mobile radios and used as "channel two" in the county the deputy was assigned or as a mutual aid channel if the deputies were working with another county, etc.

In Alachua County, circa 1970, we used it to communicate with other Sheriff's Offices in the area and it WAS our channel two. Levy and Gilchrist County used it as their main dispatch frequency.

Alachua Ambulance Service used it to communicate with sheriff's offices when they were called out in the evening, etc. They only had three units and they served several counties. No dispatcher on their freq unless another crew was in their office.

ke4crc

Premium Subscriber
In the late 1980's & early 1990's 154.950 was used as a Tac channel (simplex) in Hillsborough county also
155.370 is still being used today in orange county & surrounding counties for a Tac channel between LEO dispatchers

trooper890

Its a little more than just a tac channel between dispatchers, it is a statewide base to base frequency called police intercity. It is more heavily used in some areas, but available statewide for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.