155.250 in Brunswick county

Status
Not open for further replies.

drew6553

was working last night and was patrolling and looking over the notes my lieutenant had written for use with the new VASCAR sign. he had on there what he calls scanner code aka frequency 155.25. now i know 155.52 is the new fire dispatch in brunswick but i am trying to figure out what this is. I looked in the database with no avail. any ideas where else to look?

Thanks
Drew

Last edited:

blueline_308

155.250 has been, for many decades, known as 'Mutual Aid' in NC. It is a network of rather high power repeaters, one in almost every county, that law enforcement agencies were supposed to use for cross comms ( old school interoperability ). The repeater input is 155.970 and the repeater output is 155.250, CSQ. Most county listings on here never list it or have the input listed as the output for some reason. It's used very little anymore, down East at least.

Jim

RohnsRadio

Premium Subscriber
yeah it used to a "hot" freq. not much use now. kinda like "intercity" used to be. it was 155.190 it was a statewide channel where base stations could talk. that channel is "dead" now. i know Duplin used to have radio on it when i was involved there. it may still be there.

thanks for the trip down memory lane lol

anyone remember 39.10 ? yeah i am showing my age .

Rohn

blueline_308

I thought I was the only one who remembered 'intercity' :)

It used a pulse dial encoder ( I think thats what it was called ) to dial a code which alerted the other center you were calling. Yes I remember 39.10...hell everybody used 39.10 I think. Ahhh, the good ole days.

CCHLLM

155.190 was the statewide intercity freq in NC, and the encode/decode system was manufactured by Secode (Sequential Code Device), and no, it wasn't spelled "c-code". A 2805 Hz tone was generated and broken by the cammed contacts of an ordinary phone dial mechanism when you dialed a code. Four digit codes were assigned to each agency that had the 155.190 base stations, and the NCSHP comm center in GSO had the code 0225. If I remember correctly, dialing "6" was the "All Call" number. The early hospital-to-ambulance mutual aid freqs used the same devices.

As a former telecommunicator and then radio tech for the SHP, I can tell ya a bunch about "the old days." The 155.190 base station was then, and still is today, a GE Master Progress Line all-tube 250 watt VHF high band station with the antenna at about 175 feet on the tower on East Market Street. The antenna is toast now, the feedline center conductor foam is probably caramelized by time and lightning several times over, and the SWR is known to be about two gadgagazillion to one, and I think the control lines are no longer connected to the consoles, but the old gal is still on and operating, just waiting for signals that don't seem to come anymore.

And yes, I do remember 39.10, 39.50. and 39.54. Hell, I remember when the NCSHP had one channel. I guess this info really dates me.

Last edited:

RohnsRadio

Premium Subscriber
would love to talk to you about it sometime. i remember 4 channel radios with ch 1 and 3 being car to base and 2 and 4 being "3 way" dont remember only one channel.

and yes, i do remember the dail coders in the ambulances. used them many times :) they used 7 digit numbers. real fun trying to dail out a hosp while driving down the road. our radio techs always installed them in the front with the driver.

Rohn

blueline_308

Well I guess I am a baby compared to you guys 'cause the first SHP radios that I remember are the muti-channel Aerotron radios. I do remember sitting in my dad's police car and playing with his HUGE dash mounted radar...I think it was a Decater (sp). The antenna hung off the rear window and it had a needle instead of LED readout.

I like this stroll we are on...

Jim

CCHLLM

Decatur.

I came along when the radios were two channel Motorola Twin-V and the pre-Twin-V models. Those were all tube, BTW. Then there were the GE MASTR Progress Line Professional radios, then the Aerosols (Aerotron) and the Aerotron MEGA, then the Motorola Syntor 9000. Williamston, Elizabethtown, Raleigh, and Greensboro comm centers had those big dawg 3KW Motorola transmitters on 42 mHz, and Asheville had the 330 watt GE on Mt Mitchell instead of a 3KW set up. Who needs 3KW when you got 330 watts on the observation tower 40 feet above 6684 feet of mountain. It could be heard loud and clear most of the time on the outer banx, especially at night.

airbear21200

Premium Subscriber
wow...the good 'ol days... When I was with Wilson PD in the 80's we used to use the "250" channel for chit chat and sometimes when we worked drugs. We would switch between that and a couple others, mostly national pd - 155.475.

Dave

blueline_308

Man, Wilson in the 80's....I remember 10 or more Police cars from various agencies sitting along 301 working radar when we would go to Coastal Plains for radar training. It was a funny sight. :)

Jim

CCHLLM

I left the patrol as a TC in the mid 70s, and returned for temporary duty a few years back at the Troop D radio shop in GSO. Was there for two temp stints of about 8 or 9 months each. In the meantime, I spent almost 3 decades in the RF telemetry and instrumentaion and controls business as a field engineer dealing with water/sewer and power utilities SCADA, and remote weather, stream guaging, and seismographic stations.

Believe it or not, the SHP base station equipment for most of the SHP sites that existed in the 70s is still in place and still in service. Most of the newer equipment is in the sites added since the 70s, and most of that is well into obsolescence now. The important thing is that it still works like it's supposed to.

airbear21200

Premium Subscriber
All those patrol cars "working" radar from the Academy was a common thing about 3-4 times a year for several days each time. Seemed strange seeing all those different department cars "working" out of their jurisdictions. Created some interesting phone calls to the PD desk too.

Regarding wx4's last comment on all that "old stuff" still being up and running.... It seemed a lot easier to listen in the HP traffic back then. What's more, is you could actually "hear" things. I kept a Uniden 16 ch programable scanner in my city patrol car with all the HP channels and it stayed busy all the time. Now I am lucky if I hear anything on those channels as I travel across the State. I realize a lot has gone away due to the in car computers. But I miss hearing things like "C-537 Raliegh, 10-43 I-95 SB....." or the 10-50 dispatches.

I have finally made it to Calabash for the week and have the 396 up and running. Picking up some LE LTR traffic, but it seems spotty at best. 52, I'll be sending you a PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.