155.3700 Point to Point

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
Pre-MPSCS that frequency was used a lot. We'd even pick up Indiana regularly, and sometimes northwest Ohio.
I haven't looked at licenses in a while, but I wonder if anyone in SW Michigan is even still on it. That and 155.865 MEPSS.

PMSCAN

Premium Subscriber
Was a great frequency long ago to monitor during chases. I remember one of the Region 2 Metro Detroit Dispatchers patching D2 North with Intercity for a chase ... long ago that was some high tech stuff !

drdispatch

Premium Subscriber
MSP Operations in East Lansing used to broadcast blockades on Point also. We could get it on the radio a couple of minutes before it came across LEIN.
"EAST LANSING TO ALL STATIONS, STAND BY TO COPY EATON COUNTY BLOCKADE D-DAVID NOW IN EFFECT..."
Those were the days....

dispatchgeek

Control channel goes "brrrrr"
Between the cornfields and the pastures, Michigan.
Pre-MPSCS that frequency was used a lot. We'd even pick up Indiana regularly, and sometimes northwest Ohio.
I haven't looked at licenses in a while, but I wonder if anyone in SW Michigan is even still on it. That and 155.865 MEPSS.

When I lived in Niles, MI, I'd hear all sorts of Indiana traffic on Point to Point. I miss hearing that. I'm fairly convinced nobody around us has any P2P or MEPSS capability anymore. My system has not had that capability since ~2015 or before.

hanlonmi06

Premium Subscriber
I have it programmed in all my radios and I do catch traffic on it still. Not a lot, but I have heard a couple of recent chase coordination's with MSP and surround areas. And listing to one of them, it really kind of blew me away that for a long time now "interoperability" has been the buzz with the latest and greatest technology, but during the most recent traffic I monitored, it was still VHF legacy 155.37 and telephone calls to coordinate MSP, Monroe Co Sheriff and one of the local PD's in Monroe County going after a pretty violent offender...

scanmanmi

One of my favorites. I used to live along the Indiana/Illinois border and used to hear lots of traffic due to long distance phone bills. Pursuits would transfer to there. I heard a long pursuit once and all the other mobiles were saying things like "when you catch him kick him for me".

drdispatch

Premium Subscriber
...I'm fairly convinced nobody around us has any P2P or MEPSS capability anymore. My system has not had that capability since ~2015 or before.
Calhoun ditched Point & MEPSS out of necessity around 2006, when we had to make room in the Centracom II consoles for MPSCS talkgroups. Something had to go, and those 2 frequencies were "expendable". As I recall though, nobody told MSP Operations about it, and we got a phone call and LEIN message from them wanting to know why we missed the weekly MEPSS test. I often wonder if the transceivers are still sitting in the huts at the tower sites. Our P2P transmitter cranked out something like 1kw with a 5db gain antenna at 110' feet AGL from a hill overlooking downtown Battle Creek. I always thought it would be fun on a boring night shift to "work some DX"! 😉

drdispatch

Premium Subscriber
I have it programmed in all my radios and I do catch traffic on it still. Not a lot, but I have heard a couple of recent chase coordination's with MSP and surround areas. And listing to one of them, it really kind of blew me away that for a long time now "interoperability" has been the buzz with the latest and greatest technology, but during the most recent traffic I monitored, it was still VHF legacy 155.37 and telephone calls to coordinate MSP, Monroe Co Sheriff and one of the local PD's in Monroe County going after a pretty violent offender...
Cops will tell you (and they're not wrong) that it's challenging at best to switch to "Statewide Whatever" or "G Event Something" when they're alone in the cruiser going down the highway at Warp 8. Under those conditions, they're lucky to remember what zone/channel "Statewide Whatever" is even located in. So it falls on dispatch to get the other departments on the horn somehow.

hanlonmi06

Premium Subscriber
That's really kind of my point. Totally arm chair QB'ing here, but it seems like an awful lot to ask a responding unit and all the other various department officers to have a memorized SOP on exactly what channel/TGID/soup can string to pull when in those situations come up- and every one of 'ems going to be different than the next. It always seemed like leaving that infrastructure in place would have been a good idea, but as you pointed out there are many different aspects to it. In the situation I described, it all worked well, but I still chuckled at the KISS approach to some traffic on 155.37 and some quick phone calls.

SChuck

Lots of Police Departments in Wayne County use 155.370 , it used to be called Inter City. I hear it used often.

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
I tried it about a year ago when setting up a new base at a backup dispatch location. No one answered.

freqs

About 4 years ago I did here someone calling out to Warren for something .
But yea its an old Dinosaur Freq .
Its funny that I caught it I was Scanning 151.000 thru 160.00 range looking for a local Ready Mix Company and it hit .
A few weeks ago I was getting some Skip in that range

kd8ati

Feed Provider
Dearborn Consolidated Dispatch (Wayne, Westland, Inkster, Garden City, Dearborn, and Melvindale), Canton, Plymouth, Northville, Livonia, Redford, Novi, Farmington Hills, and Southfield all still have and use InterCity.