159.135 (127.3) State Police Chesapeake 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
For the last week this channel is coming in with alot of static and a beep at the end of each transmission. I have tried to listen to it in different parts of Va Beach and took radio to work in Norfolk with the same results. Anyone else having this problem? I might have to ask Santa for a digital scanner. 159.165 (146.2) is not much better.

Mark

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I am on the west side of the Commonwealth and have noticed static on VSP surv, tac and the input for Ch. 11. It does not happen all the time (or even often)... but each channel seems to be bombarded w/ static at the same time. Never happened before.

It's not like you described and doesn't answer your question... but I figure it has something to do w/ STARS being rolled out.

Todd

SCPD

QRT
I think your right. I have talked to some of my Trooper friends, and I also know two of the M units, and they just had some work done by the Radio Tech's. On a recent trip to Orange all the other Trooper convent. channel's worked fine. Both Culpeper channels & both Fairfax channels came in clear. Thank You for your input.

Mark

GROCKSHD

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if you guys are still having the same problems as before. I was listening this morning and 159.135 (127.3) was coming in fine.

jehm1212

Same issue on conventional channel 2 up here in Richmond, also. Since 99.9% of users are on STARS, it would seem as if the legacy system doesn't get as much anymore (understandably). Most likely what is happening is that the conventional repeater closest to you is no longer broadcasting, and you are receiving a weak signal from a distant tower.

jcardani

Premium Subscriber
Very Interesting. I was driving through VA this weekend (from Florida) and also noticed the beeps on the Chesapeake 2 channel. Specifically there were 2 quick tones, followed by the voice transmission, concluding with a tone at the end of tx. It sounded very similar to a Federal Govt. DES-XL transmission (FBI or CBP) however the voice was clear (no encryption was used).

K4APR

I understand the 0 with a slash = coded (encrypted), but why would there be clear voice heard? Am I missing something here?

Most Moto radios, when equipped with SecureNet will still beep at the end of the transmission, when encryption is programmed active. Even when in the clear.

SCPD

QRT
NO change.. Have talked to a few Troopers, Motorist Assit, Radio Tech and no one can help. I deleted the two channels from my radio. 159.135 (127.3) 159.165 (146.2) Funny thing is that while I was up North both Culpeper channels, and both Fairfax channels came in loud and clear. My thinking is that STARS is almost done in this area so the convent freq's are going away.

Mark

Astro25

Most Moto radios, when equipped with SecureNet will still beep at the end of the transmission, when encryption is programmed active. Even when in the clear.

Not that I'm aware of. I have 2 keyloaded XTS5ks on my desk here at work... neither of them produce an end-of-transmission "beep" in the clear, except when transmitting DES-XL.

They can be programmed to beep (locally, from the speaker) at the beginning of a transmission to let the user know he's talking in the clear.

RagnarD

Premium Subscriber
In a valley that only a few know where it is
The troopers are possibly on a different repeater if listening conventionally or if you are listening via STARS they may be affiliated with a different tower.

I have heard some encryption recently on talkgroup CHESAPEAKE 2 which is a simulcast of legacy channel 10.

Just a guess, I'm sure one of the experts will have a better answer.

RagarD

SCPD

QRT
I think your right about the repeater.... For the longest time here in Va Beach on 159.135 (127.3) I have heard the units on I-85 & I-95 like they were outside my house. I can still hear the dispatch talk to them, but do not hear the reply anymore.... Also I tried the input freq 155.460 and heard nothing while scanning both freq.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.