159.450MHz near Grinnell

Status
Not open for further replies.

timkilbride

Database Admin
While in Grinnell today, I heard some chatter on 159.450, my scanner has it tagged as "DNR". At first I thought it was the DNR. They were talking about turkeys. As I listened longer, it appeared to be poachers hunting turkeys. I ran a PL search, no PL being used and it was all simplex.

Tim K.

fireside

Premium Subscriber
Interesting, i will put that in the scanner and see if i can hear anything here in Tama.

N0GX

Premium Subscriber
I'll do the same, I'm just east of there in Brooklyn.

It seems like all the coyote hunters around here are using marine radios. I'm not so sure some aren't using modified 2 meter radios, could have been some of them.

K0KJL

timkilbride

Database Admin
Hunters will use anything they can buy off the shelf. They prefer marine radios, they are 25 watts right off the shelf. When I was doing a internship at the local sheriff offices, the local hardware store called the PD and advised them the high school kids came in and cleaned out the inventory on the marine radios. The PD came to me and wanted to monitor them. I provided them with a handheld radio(2M handheld that could RX marine). They were using them as a CB for the most part.

I have heard hunters on FRS/GMRS before, but due to the low power you usually don't hear them long.

I did catch some hunters on a odd ball VHF frequency several years back in Northwestern Iowa. They were running dear.

Another place you will find hunters is on a business band(farmers) repeater/frequencies.

Tim

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Hunters will use anything they can buy off the shelf. They prefer marine radios, they are 25 watts right off the shelf. When I was doing a internship at the local sheriff offices, the local hardware store called the PD and advised them the high school kids came in and cleaned out the inventory on the marine radios. The PD came to me and wanted to monitor them. I provided them with a handheld radio(2M handheld that could RX marine). They were using them as a CB for the most part.

LOL...

Did you happen to BE one of those High School kids?

timkilbride

Database Admin
LOL...

Did you happen to BE one of those High School kids?

LOL, no. This was in Pocahontas. However, we did have interop b/w Newell-Fonda High School and Pocahontas High School. It was normal on a Friday night to raz each other and try to "start something" over the radio. IIRC, Pocahontas ran on CH14 and Newell-Fonda ran on CH6. Line of sight b/w Fonda and Pocahontas is 13 miles, so it fairly easy to copy each other.

Tim

N0GX

Premium Subscriber
Did hear some activity on that frequency today. Sounded like coyote hunters to me. Now what they are doing there is another question.

Haley

Not trying to hijack a thread. But over here by Marshalltown today I am hearing 156.04500, which I thought was Iowa D.O.T., but sounds more like a hunting party.Then I thought it was the DNR, but I knew a few of the names the guy was tossing around-------so i dont think so. I dont know anything about the laws ect. for using freq. like this, but wouldnt this be pretty serious? Mike

Haley

I almost forgot , they were talking about using ch.6 and ch.8 also-----does that make sense? Mike

N0GX

Premium Subscriber
Not trying to hijack a thread. But over here by Marshalltown today I am hearing 156.04500, which I thought was Iowa D.O.T., but sounds more like a hunting party.Then I thought it was the DNR, but I knew a few of the names the guy was tossing around-------so i dont think so. I dont know anything about the laws ect. for using freq. like this, but wouldnt this be pretty serious? Mike

Sounds to me like they might have been using marine radios. Channel one on Marine band is 156.050, so I guess it's possible if they could have been bleeding over to 156.045. And I'm guessing when they said channels 6 and 8 they were refering to marine channels 6 and 8.

fireside

Premium Subscriber
Yesterday i had one scanner searching marine band and heard a group using channel 18.

timkilbride

Database Admin
Sounds to me like they might have been using marine radios. Channel one on Marine band is 156.050, so I guess it's possible if they could have been bleeding over to 156.045. And I'm guessing when they said channels 6 and 8 they were refering to marine channels 6 and 8.

I never even thought to cross reference the frequency with the marine stuff. Personally, I was thinking they bought the radio at state auction or something. . .

Tim K.

N0GX

Premium Subscriber
I never even thought to cross reference the frequency with the marine stuff. Personally, I was thinking they bought the radio at state auction or something. . .

Tim K.

That is possible too.

N0GX

Premium Subscriber
Marine radios have largely replaced CB with the coyote hunters around here.

Same here. Their is quite a bit of activity on the marine band here in rural Iowa between all the coyote hunters and farmers using them for their operations. Makes you wonder if they know what they are doing is illegal.

IowaGuy1603

Same here. Their is quite a bit of activity on the marine band here in rural Iowa between all the coyote hunters and farmers using them for their operations. Makes you wonder if they know what they are doing is illegal.
Probably not.

And there are not enough marine operators around the interior of Iowa to complain to the
FCC --------------especially this time of the year.

I think..............................and I am going to repeat THINK using radio's are legal when you are hunting coyotes in Iowa.

I'll have to add the marine frequencies and see what I hear around my neck of the woods!

N0GX

Premium Subscriber
Probably not.

And there are not enough marine operators around the interior of Iowa to complain to the
FCC --------------especially this time of the year.

I think..............................and I am going to repeat THINK using radio's are legal when you are hunting coyotes in Iowa.

I'll have to add the marine frequencies and see what I hear around my neck of the woods!

You're right, using radios to hunt coyote is perfectly legal. I just meant the fact that they were illegally using marine radios to do it. Like you said though, who is gonna complain since their is no marine operations in central Iowa.

Status
Not open for further replies.