16 bay folded dipole

trimmerj

Managed to scavenge a folded dipole array from a tower that a former employer leased space on. Thing is way too heavy to mount on anything but another tower. Can I salvage the elements and phasing harness and mount on a hunk of pvc? Or would it be a waste of time?
Thanks

kf8yk

If its a Commscope/Andrews/Decibel Products DB-420 antenna with only an inch or two of spacing between the mast and loop then you will throw off the match by using a non metallic mast.

If its some other manufacturer with a larger (1/4 wavelength or more) loop to mast spacing then it would probably work.

trimmerj

"its a Commscope/Andrews/Decibel Products DB-420 antenna with only an inch or two of spacing between the mast and loop then you will throw off the match by using a non metallic mast"

Mast is part of the array. Even if I cut it in half, it's still too heavy to mount on the roof. Thanks anyway

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
Managed to scavenge a folded dipole array from a tower that a former employer leased space on. Thing is way too heavy to mount on anything but another tower. Can I salvage the elements and phasing harness and mount on a hunk of pvc? Or would it be a waste of time?
Thanks
You can mount the dipoles at the same spacing to some much thinner metal tubing but it must be a metal mast. That is part of the design.