• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

16+ talkgroups on an MPA

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfr

Hi,

ProGrammer lets me program more than 16 talkgroups that are available on the top knob (actually 15 - I cannot turn it to 16 though it's painted on the thing) into my MPA.

But is there a way to access these on the radio in order to include/exclude them from the scan list? I've tried with [2nd] and other possible combinations I could think of, but to no avail.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
You can access the 16th talkgroup on the knob by loosening the setscrew that holds the knob on, removing the knob, and turning the plastic index washer one more notch to the right.

The position of that index washer determines how many positions on the knob are accessible, up to the max of 16.

If using an MPA only as a scanner, if you aren't a user who ever transmits, you don't
need to have individual talkgroups assigned to the rotary knob.

My preferred way of setting up a radio is to organize a scan list for each agency of interest, and each agency is assigned to the rotary knob and groups are accessible via the keypad. This is a far more logical way to use the radio as a scanner. Turn the knob to change from one city or county agency's groups to the next.

Adding and deleting groups is done by first turning scan OFF. THEN you use the add/delete key in conjunction with the step key. When done, turn scan back on.
You can't edit the scan list while the radio is scanning.

tfr

We only have one city/system here, but it has more than 16 different talk groups. If possible, I do want them on the rotary knob, in order to be able to include/exclude them from the scan list (yes, I know how it's done) and to set one or other as the "priority talkgroup" via turning the rotary knob to it.

But as I understand, I can program more than 16 talkgroups, but only the first 16 are accessible via the knob?

wiliki46

Under the scan options menu change the priority channel to selected. That should make your selected TG the priority TG when scanning.

tfr

Wiliki46,

thanks. But just out of curiosity - how do I access the menu on my MP-A SCAN (the one with step/scan/spc/2nd buttons under the display)?

And still, can someone answer my original question? Even a "definitely no way" will do. :)

Last edited:

nueces162

On an EDACS MPA there is no "menu" to access, that's on the conventional radios. Getting access to more than 16 groups depends on what you are using to prog the radio, EDACS 1 or programmer. In programmer open the codeplug that you built for the radio and click on the "Options" tab. Go to the "Keypad Options" and enable "ramp wrap" and then for "ramp function" choose "system". That way the knob should select the system and the step button will scroll through the talkgroups. You can put around 50 groups per system in an MPA and access them all this way. If the radio has a system keypad and you have enabled this option you can also access a group by entering the slot number its in and then pressing "step" and it will go to that group. I have found that some radios will refuse to enable this option in programmer but most will take it. If you are using EDACS 1 you can do the same thing from the keypad screen. Had to edit this one after I thought about it, under the "ramp function" select "group" instead of system, system is default. Shows how long it's been since I progged any MPA's, we use LPE's and Jags

Last edited:

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
MPA Select

Is there any way I could get the programming equipment necessary to program an MPA Select PAPTA4? If so, where?

SCPD

QRT
on EDACS MPAs two ways to do 17 + groups

1. Set up zones with each zone having 16 groups, you can have up to 12 zones total of 192 groups.

2. program your channel knob as the zone select, then you scroll thru groups via the keypad up to 64 groups per zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.