160.4700-----up Doms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haley

Not sure if anyone can help, I listen to the UP in Central Iowa. I have checked the database and this freq.(160.4700) isnt listed for Iowa. , but I have been hearing a lot of maint. activity on it just in the last couple of weeks. All the guys sound like they have accents from up North, maybe MN. or WI. I know the UP CAN use this freq., but would anyone know why? Usually for maint. around here, they use 160.4550 or 161.0400.(disp. on 160.8900, and utility on 160.3200, plus a few others) Also , anybody have an idea about what UP DOM stands for? The freq. comes in on the 3 scanners I have running, so I dont think its a technical problem. (PRO-92B, BC246T, and yes, the old PRO-51). I was just curious I guess, thanks for anyhelp, Mike

DPD1

Just a guess... Department of Maint.? It could be one of the traveling gangs that will do a blitz on a whole section, then move on. It would make sense that they use the same freq everywhere they go. Maybe something like an under-cut or resurfacing gang.

Dave
www.DPDProductions.com
Makers of the "TrainTenna" Monitoring Antenna

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Haley said:
Not sure if anyone can help, I listen to the UP in Central Iowa. I have checked the database and this freq.(160.4700) isnt listed for Iowa. , but I have been hearing a lot of maint. activity on it just in the last couple of weeks. All the guys sound like they have accents from up North, maybe MN. or WI. I know the UP CAN use this freq., but would anyone know why? Usually for maint. around here, they use 160.4550 or 161.0400.(disp. on 160.8900, and utility on 160.3200, plus a few others) Also , anybody have an idea about what UP DOM stands for? The freq. comes in on the 3 scanners I have running, so I dont think its a technical problem. (PRO-92B, BC246T, and yes, the old PRO-51). I was just curious I guess, thanks for anyhelp, Mike

where in iowa are you hearing it?

scanrrman

The UP in Missouri use this frequency for the Sedalia sub out of KC to Jefferson City.....it's the main road frequency.
Doubt you would receive it from that far away and they don't have any accents.....

Haley

Dave, I think you hit this one on the head! I am sure you are right (cant believe i didnt think of that---Dept. of Maint.), there are several guys in this crew , so I am sure you are right. They are not from here, you can tell when they talk about MP, and names of some of the locations.

Burner50, I am picking this up in Southern Marshall CO.

scanrrman, I have actually picked up this freq. before , but when I was going through Sedalia last year on my way to the Ozarks!

Thanks for the help guys, Mike

wrr20891

UP MOW some times uses the last name of the worker when using the radio.

UP Jackson, UP Smith, UP Jones. etc.

UP Dom may be the last name of whoever they are talking to.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
danstrainz said:
I thought that Maint. was MOW?

Maintenance in the way...

Hmmm... IDK why anybody would be on ch 24 unless they're just trying to get away from mainline radio traffic...

I'm assuming you're listening to the double main and not the spine?

And while I've never heard of a section man named Dom, i'm agreeing that it is probably a name. But i'm thinking it is probably a signal crew instead of section crew.

There has been alot of work going around with the CTC cutover lately, and getting the Tama crossovers put in the ground. You will probably be hearing more and more maint traffic during the day in your area as it warms up. The area from Montour to Belle Plain is the last bit of track to be cut over to CTC from 2mt/atc.

Haley

Burner 50, you are right I have been listening quite a bit to the main line. Although I do hear the Oskaloosa and Iowa Falls spines quite a bit (Ames also). I use the Pro-51 with the local RR freq. I have put in, and at the same time time have the BC246T and the 92B doing a full RR band scan (including the 452-457 MHz. freq.)-----I have picked up quite a few channels with that method. They were talking about Montour quite a bit on Sat.( 3-15--07) Quite a few of my relatives have worked for the UP in Omaha,(my grandfather retired with 45 years in, back in the early 80s) so I guess its in my blood! (My wife thinks I am crazy------but even she picks up the terminolgy now.) Thanks again for the help and replies , Mike

timkilbride

Database Admin
UP MofW crews use all sorts of RR channels. I was around the TRT909 last summer or the summer before, I counted at least 8 different AAR channels by the TRT909 its self.

Up in Iowa Falls during the Argon yard/siding expansion they used AAR 20,24, and 49

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Saw some TRT Equipment headed for east clinton a couple days ago...

gonna be a fun summer....

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Yep, they think they're gonna make it from Clinton to Boone this summer on MT1

Status
Not open for further replies.