160 Mhz Splinter frequency usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
I live near a major NSRR yard ( Linwood ).

I hear all sorts of Narrow Band transmissions, but I have yet to hear any activity on the new splinter channels
( the AAR 100 series channels ).

Everything seems to be just narrowbanded, but still on the same Center frequencies.

Has anybody heard any RR usage of these new channels?

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
They're not in widespread use yet.

They're for future growth, and maybe alleviating some congestion in busier areas (More than just one yard and one railroad. In my area, we have around 8 yards from 6 different railroads, and the busiest interlocking in the country within about 15 miles of each other.

No reason to change yet.

KDOXF

Feed Provider
NS has licensed several for use with the Bellevue, Ohio expansion

PJH

Premium Subscriber
None of the railroad radios I have seen have allowed the use of them. The most I have ran across have the NXDN channels enabled. If you try a 100 series number, it just shows up as invalid.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
None of the railroad radios I have seen have allowed the use of them. The most I have ran across have the NXDN channels enabled. If you try a 100 series number, it just shows up as invalid.

The one I tried allowed it...

I'll try again sometime this week with a few more radios.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
I had a JEM the other day that was "rebanded" but wouldn't allow the 300 series numbers. Someone somewhere isn't doing the universal reprogramming.

FWIW, I have a new spanking portable, no 100 series channels. Just the usual and the NXDN ones. So much for consistency.

Josh

The CSX yard down near North Baltimore, Ohio uses a splinter channel as an output to a yard repeater they have there.

In Detroit, Conrail is rolling out a yard repeater system that uses some splinter channels as input frequencies.

These repeaters and PL/NXDN whatever operation would require the shop to do the programming and only those that need access to the system would have it programmed into their radio and not everyone's across the board.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
I had a JEM the other day that was "rebanded" but wouldn't allow the 300 series numbers. Someone somewhere isn't doing the universal reprogramming.

FWIW, I have a new spanking portable, no 100 series channels. Just the usual and the NXDN ones. So much for consistency.

Haven't been on a train in almost a month... It's been nice. But haven't had a chance to try this out yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.