161.950 Nac195 from here in Ct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Anyone down there in Va. know who I am hearing? Heard "Fishersville" meantioned as well as Springfield, so I think I am hearing Va. The accents sound like southern also. This is usually a Marine channel #27. I guess it isn;t a marine channel where there is no water. Up here in the Ct. area there are sea tow companies with radio check systems on that freq. The only thing that matches the freq in Va. is this trunked system:
Virginia Statewide Agencies Radio System (STARS) Trunking System, Statewide, Virginia - Scanner Frequencies

It doesn't sound like a trunked system because I get the dispatcher and the mobiles response all the time. But if it has a low number of frequencies assigned, I suppose it could be a trunked system.

Bob

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Bob, I think Marine Ch 27 (157.350) is ship to shore telephone. 161.950 is receive part of tela coms.
Fisherville and Springfield are quite a distance from each other.
STARS is P95.

Last edited:

W4UVV

You heard STARS Fork Mtn., VA Site 108

Anyone down there in Va. know who I am hearing? Heard "Fishersville" meantioned as well as Springfield, so I think I am hearing Va. The accents sound like southern also. This is usually a Marine channel #27. I guess it isn;t a marine channel where there is no water. Up here in the Ct. area there are sea tow companies with radio check systems on that freq. The only thing that matches the freq in Va. is this trunked system:
Virginia Statewide Agencies Radio System (STARS) Trunking System, Statewide, Virginia - Scanner Frequencies

It doesn't sound like a trunked system because I get the dispatcher and the mobiles response all the time. But if it has a low number of frequencies assigned, I suppose it could be a trunked system.

Bob

Bob,

Very good! You heard a voice comm on one of voice repeaters of the statewide vhf STARS system from Site 108, NAC 195, VSP Division 1 located on Fork Mountain which is in the north north western part of the state. State Police are the primary, but not the only state entity users of the STARS system (i.e., Fish and Game, Forestry, Dept. of Corrections, etc.). Fork Mtn. provides good coverage not only into northern Va. but also westward into the I81 corridor. Fishersville is a town located in Augusta Co. Springfield is one of the northern Virginia area cities. I am about 125 air miles south south east in Prince George County, VA and receive Fork Mtn. STARS good.

When implementation/installation of the STARS system begin, both Virginia/Motorola realized the number of vhf frequencies required for statewide STARS sites had been underestimated. This prompted an emergency request to the FCC which granted letter authorization to use selected 151-152 mhz. frequencies. Even those were not sufficient and subsequent applications were made to operate on selected 161 mhz. frequencies no longer used for maritime mobile vhf ship/shore comms. 161.9500 mhz. is one of the those frequencies and what you heard from the Fork Mountain site.

Congratulations! That was an excellent catch. Inversion conditions must have been excellent as that is an approximate 375-400 mile LOS path...depending on your CT location. I operate 6 meters USB and sorry I missed that opening.

John
W4UVV

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Bob,

Very good! You heard a voice comm on one of voice repeaters of the statewide vhf STARS system from Site 108, NAC 195, VSP Division 1 located on Fork Mountain which is in the north north western part of the state. State Police are the primary, but not the only state entity users of the STARS system (i.e., Fish and Game, Forestry, Dept. of Corrections, etc.). Fork Mtn. provides good coverage not only into northern Va. but also westward into the I81 corridor. Fishersville is a town located in Augusta Co. Springfield is one of the northern Virginia area cities. I am about 125 air miles south south east in Prince George County, VA and receive Fork Mtn. STARS good.

When implementation/installation of the STARS system begin, both Virginia/Motorola realized the number of vhf frequencies required for statewide STARS sites had been underestimated. This prompted an emergency request to the FCC which granted letter authorization to use selected 151-152 mhz. frequencies. Even those were not sufficient and subsequent applications were made to operate on selected 161 mhz. frequencies no longer used for maritime mobile vhf ship/shore comms. 161.9500 mhz. is one of the those frequencies and what you heard from the Fork Mountain site.

Congratulations! That was an excellent catch. Inversion conditions must have been excellent as that is an approximate 375-400 mile LOS path...depending on your CT location. I operate 6 meters USB and sorry I missed that opening.

John
W4UVV

OMG
Wow what an opening I guess it was, and still is.
Many times in the summer I hear things from down south but never expected it this time of year. John, I really appreciate the confirmation. I was actually hearing them all day and I am still hearing them as I type this! But much weaker and the radio will hardly decode the p25 now.
Really crazy. I am going to put the actual trunked system in and see if I can get the Control Channel for the actual system. I wish RR would list the NAC for a trunked system if you hear separate channels in the conventional mode as I have. It would make it so much easier to ID a system.
Bob
N1MLZ

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Bob, I think Marine Ch 27 (157.350) is ship to shore telephone. 161.950 is receive part of tela coms.
Fisherville and Springfield are quite a distance from each other.
STARS is P95.

Yes Frank, thanks for that info.
We hear many "Sea Tow" companies up hear that now utilize the old ship to shore pairs for this "radio check" service that they provide. When you transmit on the input to the pair, the "Store and Forward" machine records your transmission and plays it back on the output frequency (in this case, the 161.950 frequency). So you can hear for yourself how you are transmitting. So I leave that freq in my scanner just for laughs on what people say from their boats up hear to test the radio. When I started hearing P-25, it sure peaked my attention!
Bob

gcgrotz

Hey Bob, I have noticed a few times recently, including today, on the TV weather when the temp at 2 of the near 4000' mountains reporting stations will be 50 or so and down here in the flatland it is 35. Kind of unusual. Happens all the time in the summer along the coast mostly. Good catch.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Hey Bob, I have noticed a few times recently, including today, on the TV weather when the temp at 2 of the near 4000' mountains reporting stations will be 50 or so and down here in the flatland it is 35. Kind of unusual. Happens all the time in the summer along the coast mostly. Good catch.

I wonder if that is where they got the term "temperature inversion"?

I am going to leave the freq in the radio in case they come through again. I put the entire system in as a trunked system also, but never was able to hear the control channel data.

Status
Not open for further replies.