1610 KHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

chgomonitor

Silent Key
Anyone else hearing what I'm assuming are Cuba based Spanish language and music station(s) in the eastern USA? I'm hearing it nightly and it's coming in strong enough to start bleeding over local 1610 TIS stations on my in-car radio, pretty annoying but I do like the music tropicale, LOL.

Is this is a form of subtle Cuban jamming? Sort of a round robin... I'm sitting parked on a Chicago highway stuck in rush hour traffic because I missed the TIS statement but I'm listening to cool Cuban music, so I'm happy, but I'm stuck in traffic because...

I've heard this on the 530 KHz TIS channel in the past, as well.

Happy Scanning! - Ted

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
Wondering if the one you're hearing is CHHA in Toronto. They have spanish programming, using the slogan "Radio Voces Latinas". Only X-band station that I could come up with that seems to fit your description. They run 10KW during the day and 1KW during the night, with a non-directional antenna. Hope that helps.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Oh boy, that's a very crowded frequency so you can be hearing just about anything. Understanding Spanish helps but only to a limited degree since US stations are no longer required to ID by callsign. I don't know about Canada but with very few exceptions I've never heard a foreign station ID with anything but it's logo.

That reminds me of WADO in New York, for as long as I could remember they identified with "Radio Wado" in Spanish having the broad A sound. Somehow Radio Pato comes to mind, if you speak Spanish you know that may be taken two ways... Radio Waddle? (;->)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.