162.165 NXDN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
This is a bit of a long shot, so bear with me. Today I was at the southern shore of Lake Erie, pretty much due South from Ontario, and heard quite a bit of Weather Canada using my R30.

Then, a VHF search found some pretty clear NXDN traffic on 162.165. I wasn't able to determine the source of the traffic from what I heard. It was a bunch of non-specific transmissions with a hint of an accent. I am pretty sure there is no NXDN in Cleveland on this freq. Any chance this originated from Canada?

I found some references to logging freqs, but not sure this was it. Thanks.

gary123

It's possible it's Canadian. The freq matches both the Canadian and American bandplan assignments. Conditions last night have been reported to be excellent so its reasonable a signal propagated across the lake well.

eorange

I heard Weather Radio Canada on:

I can usually catch any of these when I'm not by the Lake, especially when the weather is hot and humid, but they were all much stronger by the Lake.

mciupa

This is a bit of a long shot, so bear with me. Today I was at the southern shore of Lake Erie, pretty much due South from Ontario, and heard quite a bit of Weather Canada using my R30.

Then, a VHF search found some pretty clear NXDN traffic on 162.165. I wasn't able to determine the source of the traffic from what I heard. It was a bunch of non-specific transmissions with a hint of an accent. I am pretty sure there is no NXDN in Cleveland on this freq. Any chance this originated from Canada?

I found some references to logging freqs, but not sure this was it. Thanks.

Happen to catch the RAN?

What we have in the database is:

162.165001 RANUnited Taxi (Talkgroup 100 - Dispatch)Sarnia
Lambton County
Business
Lambton
ON

That would be quite the catch. Did the Sarnian accent include the word "eh?"

eorange

@mciupa This is it! The RAN was indeed 1 and dispatches of some sort were on TG100. Upon reviewing my recorded audio, I kept hearing a bunch of street names and addresses that were unfamiliar to me. Definitely a taxi service, now that I know this. No "eh".

I also heard it this morning in my driveway. That makes the distance anywhere from 100 to 110 miles.

eorange

On a side note...my new R30 is the first radio I have with NXDN. There's some 400 MHz NXDN in Cleveland that I'm too far away from to hear. So I've been awaiting to see how NXDN sounds. Kinda funny my first hit was from VHF prop.

Status
Not open for further replies.