163.6500 MHz keyed for a week on Chicago south side

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbob85

so i am new to this forum but i have lurked for a while, anyways i had kind of an odd find lest week

i think it was Sunday night that i was scanning pretty much everything i could in the 100s to see if i could find anything new, well the first few times through i didnt really have anything new but then 163.6500 lit up and it seems to have stayed that way.

I cant think of anything that could be keyed up for a week and not die short of a radio station.

the really odd part is that there is no voice, no data (that i can see) just a carrier and two short clicks every once of a while. somewhere on here i read that 163.6500 is a DHS channel but i think there stuff would blow out way before a week, and i dont think that would let it go that long.

any ideas? i am edgeing on someone tiring to jam the freq, but it seems like an odd thing to do

if your near the south side tune in, i can hear it all the way from 55 to 290 when on damen, i haven't tried to pin point it yet.

ecps92

PL/DPL/NAC?? :confused:

See if you get anything at the same time on
170.8125, 171.4375 or 171.6875

so i am new to this forum but i have lurked for a while, anyways i had kind of an odd find lest week

i think it was Sunday night that i was scanning pretty much everything i could in the 100s to see if i could find anything new, well the first few times through i didnt really have anything new but then 163.6500 lit up and it seems to have stayed that way.

I cant think of anything that could be keyed up for a week and not die short of a radio station.

the really odd part is that there is no voice, no data (that i can see) just a carrier and two short clicks every once of a while. somewhere on here i read that 163.6500 is a DHS channel but i think there stuff would blow out way before a week, and i dont think that would let it go that long.

any ideas? i am edgeing on someone tiring to jam the freq, but it seems like an odd thing to do

if your near the south side tune in, i can hear it all the way from 55 to 290 when on damen, i haven't tried to pin point it yet.

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
a continuous duty station, which most all public safety repeaters are, is capable of running indefinitely. i have a MSF 5000 repeater that has been keyed continuously for ~1 year now with no ill effects.

that being said, i doubt it is intentional. more than likely something has forced a PTT on it and it is just hung. i doubt it is a mobile, as they would certainly burn up by now. more likely somethign shorted in the PTT circuit. that or they got water in teh line and are power drying it! :)

N9JIG

Sheriff

Try disconnecting the antenna. If you still hear it then it is likely a "birdie" which is an internally generated signal from your radio. If it disappears then it may well be a radio signal but could also be interference from something else like cable TV wires or a computer.

jimbob85

PL/DPL/NAC?? :confused:

See if you get anything at the same time on
170.8125, 171.4375 or 171.6875

nothing on the other freqs, NAC of 653

N9JIG, its not the gear

davidgcet, i didnt even think of the possibility of it being a public safety repeater

its still keyed

ecps92

$653 is the typical NAC for the Interop Freq's.
Federal/Non-Federal Interoperability - The RadioReference Wiki

Maybe they shut off the Repeaters until they could track down the Stuck Transmitter. That is one of the input frequencies for the Network

Since we have a NAC, we now know it's not a Birdie

nothing on the other freqs, NAC of 653

N9JIG, its not the gear

davidgcet, i didnt even think of the possibility of it being a public safety repeater

its still keyed

Status
Not open for further replies.