163.76 mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc9cra

I live in Evansville, Indiana. Yesterday, I went up to the top of a big hill to see if I couldn't get some extended range on my pro94's reception. I heard something at 163.760. It could've easily been 163.755, 7575, 760, 7625, or 765, but it was a repeater output. It faded as I descended the hill. The bad news is that I have also picked up some intermod in the 30 mhz range up there also. Plus, my scanner has picked up a ham repeater that operates it's input at 146.62 at 151.955 before. This means to me that it has a weird if. If I do the math, that would mean that it could also be 158.43, but who knows. Does anybody know of a federal institution in southern IN, western KY or southern IL that might use this freq.

I have checked the rr listing for the Hoosier National Forest, and all of the outputs there are further up the band. From looking at this forum, I have gleaned that most federal repeaters are this way. Any info would be greatly apreciated.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
The federal VHF band is set up in 12.5 KHz channels, so the frequency should be 163.7625 MHz.

You did not provide any context as to what was heard. Was it analog, or digital? Was there a CTCSS or DPL squelch tone, or a P-25 NAC detected? What was heard on the frequency? Was it someone talking, some digital noise? All these things can help provide some clues as to what you might be hearing.

Also, many times when I go up to a high location to monitor, there are also some two-way radio sites located at these high places as well. They can provide all sorts of annoying intermodulation interference and front-end overload.

- Chris

- Chris

kc9cra

Thank you. Out of all the babbling I did, I never mentioned that. It was an analog repeater output. I don't know about a pl tone.

I hit the channel in the middle of a guy talking. He said "the female half of his traffic." Somebody else comes back and says "Yeah 605 in the office just turn left once you get in there."

As I'm descending the hill, I hear some traffic, but the signal is fading out. A guy says something, then I here, "87 did you copy that." 87 responds,(static) "I'm coming in to the building right now."
Then I hear what sounds like "Base to 903"

The static was definitly on my radio, not the repeater. It was definitly a repeater even though the conversations sound like the radios are being used on a single premisis, it could be a big property requiring a repeater. Plus, who knows, that channel might normally be used for mobile operations, that stuff might've just been a fluke. I was concerned about the intermod, but most of that which I heard on the hill was down at close to 30 mhz. I was hearing repeaters that were obviously uhf, because they were for companies that I listen to some times, and I could recognize voices and numerical systems.

ecps92

The other thought would be an image [varies by scanner] of a 150-154 Mhz channel ;)

Thank you. Out of all the babbling I did, I never mentioned that. It was an analog repeater output. I don't know about a pl tone.

I hit the channel in the middle of a guy talking. He said "the female half of his traffic." Somebody else comes back and says "Yeah 605 in the office just turn left once you get in there."

As I'm descending the hill, I hear some traffic, but the signal is fading out. A guy says something, then I here, "87 did you copy that." 87 responds,(static) "I'm coming in to the building right now."
Then I hear what sounds like "Base to 903"

The static was definitly on my radio, not the repeater. It was definitly a repeater even though the conversations sound like the radios are being used on a single premisis, it could be a big property requiring a repeater. Plus, who knows, that channel might normally be used for mobile operations, that stuff might've just been a fluke. I was concerned about the intermod, but most of that which I heard on the hill was down at close to 30 mhz. I was hearing repeaters that were obviously uhf, because they were for companies that I listen to some times, and I could recognize voices and numerical systems.

kc9cra

Very possibly. I was thinking maybe the tsa was using it at the regional airport. I'm on the opposite end of town, so I wouldn't normally hear their operations.

ecps92

W/O the tone or NAC not much to do.

See what you get next time in that area.

Very possibly. I was thinking maybe the tsa was using it at the regional airport. I'm on the opposite end of town, so I wouldn't normally hear their operations.

Status
Not open for further replies.