164.9125 mhz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4UVV

I recently heard an analog transmission in central Va. on 164.9125 mhz. unknown pl identifying as either "BVC"? or "BPC"? or "BPV"? and acknowledging other units possibly ships or boats. I could not hear the called units. My guess was a Coast Guard operation in Baltimore. I searched RR and google but no positive id as who it was.

Does anyone have an information on who this was?

riveter

Premium Subscriber
VHF High bouncing to central VA from baltimore? That would have to either be some pretty random atmospherics or a hella high power transmitter, eh?

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

CBP? Customs and Border Protection, maybe? They do have the Office of Marine and Aviation. (Which is where their 'Omaha' callsigned Blackhawk helo's get their callsign from.)

Last edited:

W4UVV

Not at all

VHF High bouncing to central VA from baltimore? That would have to either be some pretty random atmospherics or a hella high power transmitter, eh?

Not at all. I have 6 rotatable mast mounted RF pre-amped Scantennas tower mounted at about 115 ft. I frequently hear NOVA vhf transmissions during periods of temperature inversions (i.e., US Park Police, Capitol Police, Congressional Paging, etc.) and on occasion the Baltimore Coast Guard on 157.1500 mhz.

ecps92

Any Tone ?

P25 would most likely been the USCG NET-1xx channels, but in Analog and East of the Mississippi, hmmm :confused:

NYC CG Repeater [long before the new NET #'s was Analog, but reports now are P25, CBP in some areas is still Analog and it's been awhile since CG Sector SW Harbor Maine was heard on this one too..

Sounds like some more monitoring is needed, best of luck

I recently heard an analog transmission in central Va. on 164.9125 mhz. unknown pl identifying as either "BVC"? or "BPC"? or "BPV"? and acknowledging other units possibly ships or boats. I could not hear the called units. My guess was a Coast Guard operation in Baltimore. I searched RR and google but no positive id as who it was.

Does anyone have an information on who this was?

W4UVV

Unknown CG

Any Tone ?

P25 would most likely been the USCG NET-1xx channels, but in Analog and East of the Mississippi, hmmm :confused:

NYC CG Repeater [long before the new NET #'s was Analog, but reports now are P25, CBP in some areas is still Analog and it's been awhile since CG Sector SW Harbor Maine was heard on this one too..

Sounds like some more monitoring is needed, best of luck

I don't recall a pl being used. For example he would say "35743 BVC(?)" Then something like "Roger BVC(?)". He acknowledged at least 4 or 5 of these 5 digit numbered calls. For sure I know the first letter was "B" and possibly the second letter "V" and the third was muddled as his enounciation was not clear. It sounded like either a "C" or a "E". My first guess was "Baltimore Vessel Control" as on occasion I have heard the Coast Guard in Baltimore. His signal was good and consistent with a distant signal reception. I accidently heard him tuning my R7000. I didn't spend a lot of time listening. 99% of temperature inversions here typically are a N to S pattern and not a S to N pattern. My theory right or wrong is somehow the earth's magnetic deviation impacts and influences these inversion occurrences.

ecps92

Maybe someone closer to the Harbor and/or the Airport might try, TSA has been known to pop up in some odd Places of late

I don't recall a pl being used. For example he would say "35743 BVC(?)" Then something like "Roger BVC(?)". He acknowledged at least 4 or 5 of these 5 digit numbered calls. For sure I know the first letter was "B" and possibly the second letter "V" and the third was muddled as his enounciation was not clear. It sounded like either a "C" or a "E". My first guess was "Baltimore Vessel Control" as on occasion I have heard the Coast Guard in Baltimore. His signal was good and consistent with a distant signal reception. I accidently heard him tuning my R7000. I didn't spend a lot of time listening. 99% of temperature inversions here typically are a N to S pattern and not a S to N pattern. My theory right or wrong is somehow the earth's magnetic deviation impacts and influences these inversion occurrences.

Status
Not open for further replies.