166.925 118.8 PL open mic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I picked up 166.925 with a 118.8 PL open mic in Peoria,IL and I couldnt fiqure it out. I thought it couldnt be the US park police because we have no federal owned parks in Peoria here. If someone could help me out please.

Thank you

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
Although the US Park Police in the Washington DC area do use this frequency, it can be assigned to several other agencies as well. I have allocations on this frequency for the US Department of the Interior, which includes the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), Bureau of Reclamation and the National Park Service. It's also allocated to the US Fish and Wildlife Service nationwide. There are a few other oddball local assignments to the military and the Justice Department as well.

You will have to keep monitoring for some additional information on what the frequency is being used for and you will probably be able to figure out which DoI agency it is...

- Chris

N1BHH

Hello I picked up 166.925 with a 118.8 PL open mic in Peoria,IL and I couldnt fiqure it out. I thought it couldnt be the US park police because we have no federal owned parks in Peoria here. If someone could help me out please.

Thank you

That could be a stray signal coming from your modem or router. There are other devices that cause it. Does it go away when you remove the antenna? Are you getting it while mobile? Could be your automobile's computer or other electronics. Move your scanner around the room, I assume your using a hand held scanner.

SCPD

QRT
That could be a stray signal coming from your modem or router. There are other devices that cause it.

This is actually very possible.

My real-world example:

With my XTS 5000 VHF I noticed that it would constantly break squelch while inside the house around 156Mhz. I figured it was local RFI but didn't bother hunting for it. When the RTL SDRs came out, I happened to notice the signal while I had the stock antenna plugged in...

Turns out that the signal was coming from my air purifier! The best part is that the unit was powered OFF! When it's turned ON, there's no VHF signal. It's an Alen T100 purifier. I emailed the company about the RFI and never received any reply.

I notice they still sell this unit.

I guess no one cares about a little stray RF these days.

This is actually very possible.

My real-world example:

With my XTS 5000 VHF I noticed that it would constantly break squelch while inside the house around 156Mhz. I figured it was local RFI but didn't bother hunting for it. When the RTL SDRs came out, I happened to notice the signal while I had the stock antenna plugged in...

Turns out that the signal was coming from my air purifier! The best part is that the unit was powered OFF! When it's turned ON, there's no VHF signal. It's an Alen T100 purifier. I emailed the company about the RFI and never received any reply.

I notice they still sell this unit.

I guess no one cares about a little stray RF these days.

Did it happen when it had PL defeat activated?

Status
Not open for further replies.