167-168 MHZ with LTR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randmaster

The Family Geek
(Hopefully this is the right thread, please move if I'm incorrect)

Hey, all. I have two unique frequencies in my PRO-97... 167.8625 and 168.1125.

These two are nowhere to be found in the FCC database or my state database (Alabama). My scanner decodes them as LTR frequencies and displays random ID and repeater numbers every 30 seconds. The more interesting part is there has never been any voice transmissions on them, only "pulse tones". I thinking these possibly could be federal... or something else, perhaps.

I don't have much knowledge on LTR trunking, but I know that the UHF band uses LTR.

Could the federal agencies be using LTR on 167-168 MHZ?

I heard these two frequencies in the Tuscaloosa, AL area... by the way.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
First, as you discovered, federal allocations do not show up in the FCC database, as they are not responsible for federal allocations.

Yes, there is some federal use of LTR Passport, but I've only seen it in Washington DC.

It could be some other data that is causing the PRO-97 to try and decode it as LTR. I have seen the Uniden 396 and 996 sometimes try and call a P-25 trunking control channel LTR.

If you can record a sample of what you are hearing and post it, that might help.

Good luck!

- Chris

Randmaster said:
(Hopefully this is the right thread, please move if I'm incorrect)

Hey, all. I have two unique frequencies in my PRO-97... 167.8625 and 168.1125.

These two are nowhere to be found in the FCC database or my state database (Alabama). My scanner decodes them as LTR frequencies and displays random ID and repeater numbers every 30 seconds. The more interesting part is there has never been any voice transmissions on them, only "pulse tones". I thinking these possibly could be federal... or something else, perhaps.

I don't have much knowledge on LTR trunking, but I know that the UHF band uses LTR.

Could the federal agencies be using LTR on 167-168 MHZ?

I heard these two frequencies in the Tuscaloosa, AL area... by the way.

k4pbn

I am hearing 167.8625 here in Birmingham and it is a paging transmitter with call sign
KLM495. My guess is it is VA hospital. Do not hear anything here on 168.1125.

Randmaster

The Family Geek
I see...

Oh, thanks ChrisP! I read another forum about the FCC and federal frequencies after I posted the reply above.

k4pbn, here at DCH in Tuscaloosa, their pager frequency is 163.25. It didn't cross my mind if 167.8625 was a pager frequency, but I dod recall that most pager transmissions lie between 163-168 MHZ... something like that. Of course, I live in Cottondale, and I can pick up quite a bit in Birmingham.

I'll try to post a sound sample when I can.

Thanks, guys!

Last edited:

k4pbn

Randmaster, What I'm hearing here is definately a paging transmitter. Could be mixing but not sure. I'm monitoring it from work in the Homewood area. Tried to look up the call sign KLM495 but no luck. Let me know if you find out anything.

West of the Muddy Creek, East of the Big Hill.
Information from the Master Frequency File by James E. Tunnell and Robert Kelty, published in 1994 by Tab Books. Indicates the following.

Veterans Affairs Department

Alabama

Birmingham Medical Center Callsign: KLM495
KLM495 Police Fire Engineering F1 163.000
Police F2 163.375

Note: Tuscaloosa was KLM489; Montgomery was KFO232 and Tuskeege was KFC607

I am sure that the frequency data is outdated.
The callsign maybe still active on newer frequencies.

On the old list no paging frequency was listed for the Birmingham VMC.

Hopefully this old information can be helpful trying to identify the user in the area.

Good luck and happy scanning!

Status
Not open for further replies.