Status
Not open for further replies.

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
I heard something new to me today on 167.6125. I had noticed that my Uniden 996xt was not muting what I thought was P25 encryption. It was a simplex, car to car QSO and the signal strength was full scale. After listening for a while, I figured it out.....its MotoTRBO..... on a FBI frequency???

KE5TLF

Copied some in the clear traffic here on this one today. NAC 167

Louisiana Ave. mentioned. There is a gazillion Louisiana Avenues so not much help there though.

ecps92

Or the signal was weak enough to not decode/mute on the scanner.

Hard to envision that one large agency would migrate to a new type of radio, for even just one RA or FO.

I heard something new to me today on 167.6125. I had noticed that my Uniden 996xt was not muting what I thought was P25 encryption. It was a simplex, car to car QSO and the signal strength was full scale. After listening for a while, I figured it out.....its MotoTRBO..... on a FBI frequency???

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
I don't think any scanner mutes encrypted other than in trunked systems.

KE5TLF

Capped a good bit more in the clear traffic today. Copied another street address. Sounding more like the agents are operating in and around NOLA. No idea about the repeater though. I'm seeing RSSI levels in the 240 - 270 range most of the time.

EDIT: Yep definitely operating around NOLA/Orleans Parish.

Last edited:

danf161

Ok, this is a complete newbie question but how are you able to identify what type of system/radio they're using (i.e. mototrbo. I have a 396xt and hear all sorts of noise when i search. I'm not able to record any of it since I'm usually in my car when I hear it.

-Dan

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
167.6125 Follow Up Post

Well, it was MotoTRBO but was splatter from a nearby strong signal that happened to show up on 167.6125 MHz on my BCD996XT. Yes, it took me five months to finally track down the signal and where it was coming from. Sorry for the confusion.

Dan, there are audio samples on the internet to help ID different types of systems you hear when you are in search mode...

Digital*Modes*Samples

Status
Not open for further replies.