168.550 unid sig

Marcy57

Premium Subscriber
Happy 4th to all, probably not alot of people monitoring but I will ask anyhow ya never know!
this signal (steady digital type carrier) popped up overnight on 168.550 does anybody else cpy
this in the area? just curious..it,s abt S7 hr on LI, NY,,,,73,s Marcy20240704_063717.jpg

Marcy57

Premium Subscriber
It has somewhat faded now...probably due to the great condx. this morning
coming in from somewhere...73,s Marcy

ecps92

Happy 4th to all, probably not alot of people monitoring but I will ask anyhow ya never know!
this signal (steady digital type carrier) popped up overnight on 168.550 does anybody else cpy
this in the area? just curious..it,s abt S7 hr on LI, NY,,,,73,s MarcyView attachment 165120
Last week it was heard up into Maine and on da Cape of Cod and the band is/was open

It did not decode and my first thought was something from Canada , others speculated TETRA since nothing decoded it.

Now that you are hearing it, Wondering if a new FED Trunk site, that is coming on line and is being used for GPS mapping of the signal

Marcy57

Premium Subscriber
Ok glad it has been copied by others it did not sound like a normal CC signal
every few seconds it had a weird sound ..(to me) only had it on the Discone if I switch to the Yagi pointed due West completely gone...ok tks for info 73,s Marcy

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
After Bill brought it to my attention yesterday morning I was able to monitor it from my location on Cape Cod. I ran it with DSD+ FL but that software couldn't decode it. That said it didn't sound like any type of digital voice/data I am familiar with.

k2hz

Database Admin
813 pm EDT

It's back loud and clear here in Maine on the 996p2 with a discone antenna. Best signal I've captured in the past few days.
It is probably irrelevant now but those 168.xx frequencies were National Interagency Fire Center analog frequencies back before everything went narrow band and digital. I think 168.550 was NIFC Incident Command Calling or something like that.

ecps92

It is probably irrelevant now but those 168.xx frequencies were National Interagency Fire Center analog frequencies back before everything went narrow band and digital. I think 168.550 was NIFC Incident Command Calling or something like that.
Yes it is ALSO used by NIFC but there are many others assigned to use it