169.550 at Cape Hatteras

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
I came across a P25 repeater on 169.550 during the limited time that I had for scanning while driving along the Cape Hatteras National Seashore.

I did not see this listed in the Database for the area, but it is listed as a parkwide repeater for the Great Smokey Mountains National Park.

I would not be surprised if this is the new park-wide P25 repeater, but can anyone confirm?

I also noted that all of the Rangers at the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse were carrying VHF Model I XTS3000's that had an extensive channel legend taped to the front, but I was not able to see what was on it. I would be very interested if anyone has that fleetmap and the frequencies that go with it for future trips..

CCHLLM

NPS at Cape Hatteras

Being as it's you and I spend a lot of time on the south end of Hatteras Island and know some of the local emergency services people, I'll tell ya what I know. CHNS is now digital VHF but I have no idea what the freqs are or if it's trunked, and that some if not all are equipped with the local fire/rescue VHF conventional freqs. The law enforcement rangers also have UHF radios on the Dare SO freqs. The old analog repeater freq was 164.725MHz/103.5 PL on the Cape Hatteras end of the Island.

Last edited:

yardbird

Most of the National Parks and Federal Government Agencies operate in the very high splits of the Vhf radio range.

They are basically in the same range as the railroad frequencies as are.

Must of the Federal Government radio frequencies are either encrypted, digital, or non-published or a combination of all three.

It is strange. Everybody else that has a license issued by the FCC is public knowledge, but the Feds are in a different class.

Just my thoughts

David

ocguard

Federal government frequencies require no licensing. No reason for the federal government to pay itself.

ecps92

They are above the RR's and VHF Marine if you are talking 162-174 Mhz [not all FEDS operate there, don't forget Low-Band, UHF-A and 138-144 / 148-150.7]

Non Published ? Plenty of them are in publications, the web and here at RR.

The FCC Licenses, Non Federal Agencies. The Federal Agencies are licensed, the information is just not made avail to the public [they have call signs - Not Tactical], thru the NTIA/DOC
NTIA: Office of Spectrum Management

Most of the National Parks and Federal Government Agencies operate in the very high splits of the Vhf radio range.

They are basically in the same range as the railroad frequencies as are.

Must of the Federal Government radio frequencies are either encrypted, digital, or non-published or a combination of all three.

It is strange. Everybody else that has a license issued by the FCC is public knowledge, but the Feds are in a different class.

Just my thoughts

David

Status
Not open for further replies.