SDS100/SDS200: 16GB MicroSD card...

I have a spare 16GB card and was wondering if I should use this in my SDS100 instead of the 8GB card that came with it or will the 8GB card be plenty?

I am currently using location based scanning, but plan on uploading frequencies to the scanner via sentinel once I get the hang of how to operate it.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I have a spare 16GB card and was wondering if I should use this in my SDS100 instead of the 8GB card that came with it or will the 8GB card be plenty?

I am currently using location based scanning, but plan on uploading frequencies to the scanner via sentinel once I get the hang of how to operate it.
Uniden supports using up to 32 GB cards in the scanner. Frequencies and other programming data take up very little room on the SD card. If you do a lot of voice recording to the card, that could take up considerably more room after a while. But even with recording, an 8 GB card would still give you a surprising amount of space for that.

Just to give you a point of reference, all of the programming data contained in the entire North American (USA and Canada) master database that always resides on the SD card only takes up around 58 MB.

Last edited:
Just to give you a point of reference, all of the programming data contained in the entire North American (USA and Canada) master database that always resides on the SD card only takes up around 58 MB.
Wow that is surprising to me. I thought it would be at least be a 1GB file or more to be perfectly honest.

blackbelter

8GB is more than enough unless as mentioned here you are planning on recording audio. In my experience the less interactions with these temperamental cards and readers on these scanners the better .These are stored compressed data with no Java or graphics thus the current 8GB is more than sufficient. Larger space cards without a cause will not enhance your monitoring experience.

Last edited:

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
8GB is more than enough unless as mentioned here you are planning on recording audio. In my experience the less interactions with these temperamental cards and readers on these scanners the better .These are stored compressed data with no Java or graphics thus the current 8GB is more than sufficient.
The older units came with a 4Gb card... Like the X36's units...

richardbritt

Database Admin
Does anyone know the speed of the factory included SD card? I am leary of removing mine to find out. Thanks

Regards Richard

blackbelter

Does anyone know the speed of the factory included SD card? I am leary of removing mine to find out. Thanks

Regards Richard
Not sure of the speed , however more FL , larger capacity cards and recording more time to boot up . As the old commercial says .. “ set it and forget it “. As the result of the SD drive failure I had to send mine to uniden for repair . These drives are fragile and with one unexpected power surge here goes the card.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
As the result of the SD drive failure I had to send mine to uniden for repair .

Couldn't you just replace the SD card with a new one without sending the scanner to Uniden, or was the failure more than just the card?

mc48

Premium Subscriber
10 MB/s, UHS class 1, Speed class 10. You can use any size as long as it's formatted to FAT 32 not EX.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
And if you do a lot of recording, you probably ought to get a High Endurance kind of SD card.

Lastly as inexpensive as they are, spares are really good things to have.

Ubbe

The SD card interface in the scanner doesn't allow any high speed transfer, you can use the lowest speed and cheapest SD card you can get. The speed and amount of data to record audio are a 100 times less than for video and any SD card should hold up for 10 years or more, if there's nothing wrong with it, as it could be if the quality control are lacking from a manufacturer. Buy well known brands to avoid that. File corruption will always happen from time to time but then its just a matter of doing a reformat or let Windows restore the file structure.
When doing a programming of a scanners SD card, always do a second copy as a backup and store on or in the scanner or in your wallet.

A SDS100, as well as BCD536, can transfer 0,6MB/s as max speed using its SD card interface. In comparison a Whistler TRX-2 can do 0,1MB/s.

/Ubbe

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber