17' Dual Band on a 2 Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

clanusb

I have a Diamond X510HDN that I would like to get above the roof of our 2 story house for the next few months before we move. Roof has tile, siding is stucco, so that is a no go. I believe the eave mount J poles used for dishes probably won't be strong enough to support the antenna. We do get an evening breeze here that can be from around 5-15mph.

The only other thing I can think of is about a 35' telescoping mast along the side of the house that is secured at the bottom and near the roof line.

I have been looking around the forums here and other sites and haven't really found anything related to the situation I am in. I have seen people use the 20' Harbor Freight flag pole kit with large antennas before, but that won't get me above my or my neighbors' roof lines.

Thank you for your help, advice, and considerations.

Last edited:

clanusb

I was actually looking at the 40' one. Was mainly curious if anyone had any experience in using them in the way I was looking for, especially with an antenna that large.

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
It would definitely handle the 5 pound Diamond X510HDN. I have a discone antenna on mine which weighs 3-4 pounds and it went through 120 MPH winds during Hurricane Irma. Mine is about a foot in the ground and also attached to house at roof line.

clanusb

That is the plan. It'll go right at the peak on the windward side of the house. So in theory I should only need to get it the radials about 3ft above the peak to be clear of the entire roof to not affect the SWR.

clanusb

I just wasn't sure how much torque from wind loading the antenna would place on mounts such as those, even though its light.

Unfortunately I don't have any vent pipes near the edge of the roof, or else I'd now consider that. Thank you much.

Status
Not open for further replies.