170.0400 - Border Patrol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd1sq

Database Admin
The Acadian Conference thing is under way up in this area. I figured I'd use the R820T dongle and a decent whip to see if CBP had woken up as a result.

Sure enough, it had. I'm seeing a fairly broad band signal with two very distinct sidebands and a higher central peak on the spectrum display. Audio had handshaking followed by white noise. Now, I checked a number of MHz on either side of the displayed frequency because those dongles are prone to images but it does seem to be on 170.0400 MHz. Very active, those fine individuals have been hassling everyone along the border.

170.0400 - is this a usual frequency for this kind of traffic? Did some searching but to no avail.

I'll keep looking to see what else may show up.

Lee

ecps92

Change your setting to be 12.5 Khz for US Freqs.
If a USA Signal it is 170.0375

However our cousins across the border use different offsets.

Without a PL/DPL or NAC it is impossible to identify the agency.

Remember too , Maine is going to a VHF TRS and has been given multiple Federal Frequencies to complete the system.
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=8890
If your dongle is off you might be hearing one of those channels. Again No NAC, can't Help.

CBP, BP and ICE are always active across the northern border regions. Nothing for them to wake up for, as they are always at the ready

The Acadian Conference thing is under way up in this area. I figured I'd use the R820T dongle and a decent whip to see if CBP had woken up as a result.

Sure enough, it had. I'm seeing a fairly broad band signal with two very distinct sidebands and a higher central peak on the spectrum display. Audio had handshaking followed by white noise. Now, I checked a number of MHz on either side of the displayed frequency because those dongles are prone to images but it does seem to be on 170.0400 MHz. Very active, those fine individuals have been hassling everyone along the border.

170.0400 - is this a usual frequency for this kind of traffic? Did some searching but to no avail.

I'll keep looking to see what else may show up.

Lee

kd1sq

Database Admin
Hmm

I did calibrate the dongle and the carefully line up on the frequency but that's not to say that that it's accurate. I really need to get the R8500 up and running again for accuracy...

Now there's a thought - are they running P25 Mark I still? What I was hearing sounded a little different to what I was accustomed to from my days of listening to the SP in Vermont.

One of these days I'll have all my gear up and running at last. Oh well.

ecps92

Mark I :confused: ??

VTSP running P25 ?
Vermont State Police - Scan New England Wiki

I did calibrate the dongle and the carefully line up on the frequency but that's not to say that that it's accurate. I really need to get the R8500 up and running again for accuracy...

Now there's a thought - are they running P25 Mark I still? What I was hearing sounded a little different to what I was accustomed to from my days of listening to the SP in Vermont.

One of these days I'll have all my gear up and running at last. Oh well.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
He might mean P25 Phase I, correct?

Yes, so far the federal government systems are all P25 Phase I. Phase II TDMA is only used for trunking.

- Chris

kd1sq

Database Admin
P25

Mark I :confused: ??
VTSP running P25 ?
]

Ah, sorry, I misremembered - it *was* over two and a half years ago that I left the area - I meant NHSP.

Been a long time since I listened down that way.

(And most of my equipment and notes are still in storage.)

Status
Not open for further replies.