170.3 Mhz 82.5 Hz Rapides Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

R7000

I posted this 11 years ago to much skepticism. I'm still hearing it.
Fire dispatch on 170.3 Mhz with 82.5 Hz tone. Today they called out a team to 9 Miller Road
which is near Boyce, putting this in Rapides Parish.

It's 89 miles from me.

I'm hearing it on my Icom mobile, R7000, IC-746 and Uniden scanners.

I'd like for someone in central La. to listen for them as well.

Tom
Lafayette

Spec605LA

Statewide Radio Jedi
Premium Subscriber
Fire dispatch on 170.3 Mhz with 82.5 Hz tone. Today they called out a team to 9 Miller Road

It's 89 miles from me.

Tom
Lafayette
170.3 is not a licensed frequency to anyone in Louisiana. But it does fall in the "wireless microphone" spectrum. Someone close to you may have a radio being rebroadcasted over a wireless mic/baby monitor. The VHF that would cover Miller Road is 154.355Mhz/179.9pl. And the 89 miles is not unforeseen. I have a VHF fire repeater running 100 watts on 158Mhz at 330' and it can be heard clearly into Baton Rouge when conditions are right. Im in Lafourche Parish.

Spec605LA

Statewide Radio Jedi
Premium Subscriber
It's a federal government frequency. There could be one or many federal users in LA.
It's also wireless mics/baby monitors. We have 2 wireless mics at the station and had to change the frequencies on them because a house nearby has a baby monitor on the same frequency. 170.3 was the default freq on the mics.

R7000

170.3 is not a licensed frequency to anyone in Louisiana. But it does fall in the "wireless microphone" spectrum. Someone close to you may have a radio being rebroadcasted over a wireless mic/baby monitor. The VHF that would cover Miller Road is 154.355Mhz/179.9pl. And the 89 miles is not unforeseen. I have a VHF fire repeater running 100 watts on 158Mhz at 330' and it can be heard clearly into Baton Rouge when conditions are right. Im in Lafourche Parish.
A wireless mic? Really? For 11 years? I didn't even live in this neighborhood 11 years ago. It's not that.

Spec605LA

Statewide Radio Jedi
Premium Subscriber
A wireless mic? Really? For 11 years? I didn't even live in this neighborhood 11 years ago. It's not that.
So 1st off, you posted the question in a public form asking for answers. But apparently from your response to my first answer to your original question, you already know what it is not. You did not state that you did not live in the same neighborhood you are in now 11 years ago. But to answer your Wireless mic for 11 years question.... my great uncle and grandmother live 2 houses away from each other and they have a wireless intercom they've been using for 25+ years. So I wish you well on finding an answer to your 11 year old question that does not bear to much skepticism for your liking!

nd5y

If it was a wireless mic or baby monitor it would transmit continously (for as long as it was turned on) and not have a PL tone.

charlie12

It's 89 miles from me.

Tom
Lafayette

My buddy is a radio tech for LA Dept of Forestry I'll ask him tomorrow to see if he knows what it could be.

lamopac

Premium Subscriber
I live in Grant Parish and receive a lot of radio traffic from Rapides Parish, I can honestly say that I have never heard anything thing on 170.300, 9 Miller Road near Boyce is covered by the Cotile Vol. Fire Dept. which uses the Rapides Fire South Frequency on 155.92500. They also have a channel on the Rapides P25 TRS. I agree with milf, because of the location it is more than likely the U.S. Forest Service.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.