170.6625 167 nac

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfhtm350

Anyone know what this frequency is? One side sounds like it is garbled or barely out of range and the other side is clear as a bell. I get 4-5 bars of signal with it. It could be from anywhere from Jefferson County to southeast VA. There is nothing on it in the FCC database for TN, KY, VA, NC. It could be a conventional P25 channel or a P25 trunked voice channel, but it is the only frequency I can pick up with that NAC so it probably is conventional.

ecps92

The NAC is a typical NAC for "J.Edgar Hoover" :D which will not be in the FCC DB.

Anyone know what this frequency is? One side sounds like it is garbled or barely out of range and the other side is clear as a bell. I get 4-5 bars of signal with it. It could be from anywhere from Jefferson County to southeast VA. There is nothing on it in the FCC database for TN, KY, VA, NC. It could be a conventional P25 channel or a P25 trunked voice channel, but it is the only frequency I can pick up with that NAC so it probably is conventional.

mdgjedde

Can you make out any of the transmission, e.g. to tell if it is an LE channel, an EMS channel, etc?

I'll monitor it and see what I get.

CORN

Premium Subscriber
With a NAC of 167 it could be FBI. If it is and is in the clear then you struck gold my friend!! Hard to find FBI stuff in the clear these days. You sure won't in Nashville. I know, I hear R2D2 from time to time here.

Last edited:

jfhtm350

Can you make out any of the transmission, e.g. to tell if it is an LE channel, an EMS channel, etc?

I'll monitor it and see what I get.

If its the Men in Black, then I suppose the one side was encrypted. The other side of the conversation was not encrypted and clear as a bell. I listened to see if I could get a clue to who it might have been but didnt.

mdgjedde, do you live around me? If you figure out who it is, let us know and likewise.

CORN

Premium Subscriber
Digital encryption will sound like R2D2 from Star Wars kind of. If it just sounds digital gabled thats not encryption, just that unit is almost out of range. These guys use simplex more than repeaters anyways.

jfhtm350

You can almost make out what they are saying on that one side but not really. I dont believe it sounds like R2D2. It is annoying though to try to listen to it. Id say it is the J Edgar Hoover because they were talking about drugs in someones car at least on one side of the conversation.

ecps92

FYI - you typically [98% of the time] will not find FEDERAL Agencies listed in the FCC DB as those licenses come from the NTIA.

Typically the 138-144 / 148-150.7 / 162.0250 - 174.0000 / 380-400 / 400-420 are the Federal Government [and a few minor exceptions, but generally the rule]

ecps92

Does the NTIA have some kind of database ?
YES

Can I search like the FCC database?
No it has not been made available to the public since the early 80's

Does the NTIA have some kind of database I can search like the FCC database?

Bobman01

170.6625 is linked with 170.960. The .960 tower used to be Aeee Teee F Knoxville office. Field units are enc. but base station is usually in the clear. Don't know if this is still the case or not.

ecps92

170.9625 is allocated to both FBI and BATFE, actual users will be ID'd based on the NAC

$650 - ATF
$167 - FBI

IF those two freqs are linked, then it's not BATFE

170.6625 is linked with 170.960. The .960 tower used to be Aeee Teee F Knoxville office. Field units are enc. but base station is usually in the clear. Don't know if this is still the case or not.

jfhtm350

How are you all getting this information? Are you getting it from a website or just gathered it over time?
If its not in the fcc database then I dont have a way to find what is what.

nd5y

Most of us have probably been collecting stuff over time from directly monitoring (what do you think the search button is for?), books, magazines and web sites.
The FCC only licenses non-federal users and the FCC database doesn't contain PLs or NACs.

abbadabbado

could it be the clear transmision could have been a spotter plane. the weak trans could have been the ground people. that happens to me a lot. knowing the area i live in i have recieved fed traffic up to 60 air miles away but no ground responses

jfhtm350

(what do you think the search button is for?), books, magazines

Yes I know how to search. This frequency is not in the pub safety search band of my scanner although it claims to be. Went through a good deal of work to set my scanner up to search different bands.

I find stuff all the time, but most of it is already in the RR database and the others I dont know who they are. Some I hear once or twice and never hear again, although it sounded like they were way off in the distance in the first place. As a matter of fact I havent heard anyone on this frequency since I posted this.

I am curious as to what kind of magazine you are reading, because I have looked and not found a scanner magazine. I havent looked for an actual book.

Well anyways keep up the good job frequency identifying.

nd5y

Monitoring Times and Popular Communications are good magazines. I'm not sure if there are any others left.

There have been several books published that contained federal frequency listings but that was a over 10 years ago and before the federal bands were refarmed. I don't know if there are any current ones.

That frequency isn't a public safety allocation. That is why it isn't in the public safety service search.

CORN

Premium Subscriber
I feel you. I have a crapload of Fed frequencies in my scanner and most are dormant. Every now and then one will pop active then will go silent for more times to come. The most disappointing is DEA! I don't even think they have a presence in Nashville. A couple P25 freqs (not DEA) are active but usually encrypted. Keep up the good work. At least you have something on your end.

Status
Not open for further replies.