171.875 Federal Dog Handlers

Status
Not open for further replies.

appalachianscanner

Premium Subscriber
Been hearing transmissions on 171.875 - apparent repeater- analog (no CTCSS or DCS) - lots of chit chat mentioned going back somewhere, references to Henderson and Transylvania Counties, and among both parties relating to training dogs in the field / woods.

ANY IDEAS?

I did hear some data bursts but I suspect those were related to an IFLOWS system in West Virginia.. see> http://www.afws.net/supportsite/iflows/wv/wvblock.pdf

jim202

There are a number of hunters that are using dogs in their chase of the prey. These so called hunters
have been showing up on all sorts of frequencies that they are not licensed for. You might just have stumbled into one of those groups. Their pickup trucks have yagi antennas sticking up through the cab of the truck. All of them have dog cages in the back. See them along the VA and NC boarder most of the time. Never see them on the interstate highways. Have seen a number of them in the Lynchburg and Roanoke region of VA also.

Been hearing transmissions on 171.875 - apparent repeater- analog (no CTCSS or DCS) - lots of chit chat mentioned going back somewhere, references to Henderson and Transylvania Counties, and among both parties relating to training dogs in the field / woods.

ANY IDEAS?

I did hear some data bursts but I suspect those were related to an IFLOWS system in West Virginia.. see> http://www.afws.net/supportsite/iflows/wv/wvblock.pdf

appalachianscanner

Premium Subscriber
Would they have a repeater though? Im pretty sure it wasnt simplex due to the identical signal strength of both parties and a squelch tail.

RMPDCOP

Database Admin
I do not think they were hunters. The Yagi on top of the truck is used only for tracking purposes after the dogs have finished the hunt. Also hunting season is out.
As a person that hunts with dogs I have been in several hunting clubs and all of our dues which are very expensive go toward renting land. Most of the time I have seen the following types of communications used CB, GMRS or Marine.
Before everyone chimes in I know that using the Marine Band is illegal for this purpose.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber

ANY IDEAS?

Interesting - the frequency of 171.8750 MHz is not listed for voice, but as narrowband data in the federal allocations. Any possibility that you were picking up an image?

- Chris

reconrider8

yes marine is illegal but ive heard hunters talk about wildlife run/monitor the marine channels and be at their next position to check them and make sure everything legit

appalachianscanner

Premium Subscriber
Interesting - the frequency of 171.8750 MHz is not listed for voice, but as narrowband data in the federal allocations. Any possibility that you were picking up an image?

- Chris

I checked with a different radio because I thought I had tone decode off...confirmed via multiple radios, no ctcss /dcs

I know Virginia for a good bit had voice repeaters built into their IFLOWS stream gage system...The state EOC would do county role calls weekly via it.. I know im a state off here but my theory is West Virginia has the same and they were on their stream gage system equivalents voice repeater.. Im going to check in the WV forum too...now the best of both theories would be someone using that repeater clandestinely.

Additionally, their mention of counties by name ..as in my original post is atypical of a hunter that usually has their stakes named something to masquerade its identity and keep out coworkers, and friends... not saying a county isnt vauge but still its more customary for someone clever enough to hack a possible governemnt repeater to name their hunting areas something unique....all said provided this is the case...as they may not be hunters at all...SO yeah... Im stumped too...

Last edited:

Sporadic E enthusiast
NOAA uses that frequency for stream flow gauges in NC.

North Carolina Gauge Collection Network. NWS Office (GSP)
Rx on 171.875. Hears everything output from Mt. Pisgah.
Mt. Pisgah Repeater Rx – 169.500 Tx – 171.875

Distinctive AFWS Designs
Rx on 171.875 & 170.275,
outputs of Mt. Pisgah &
Viking Mtn.

afws.net/supportsite/iflows/nctn/nc_blk.pdf

appalachianscanner

Premium Subscriber
More Traffic

9/28 171.875

Back to Brumley Mtn where I orginally heard the dog handlers,

SAME frequency, NFM, NOT WFM

What sounds like a High School Band director wearing a wireless microphone, referring to people's names and instrument positions. Background noise with drums and trumpets, sounds of an outside environment vs indoors....cars, birds, etc....all activity was that of a rehersal or practice vs an onging live event.

Im starting to lean that either WV or the NC (Mt Pisga) stream guage repeater is picking up things at random and repeating it...

N4VZB

same here

For what it's worth... getting it at about a sold S9 in Kings Mountain, NC.

Looking at the HP-1 RF power plot, the signal level does not fluctuate, so I'm betting on a repeater output also.

Like the other post, sounds like I'm hearing a band director talking on a wireless mic, with intermittent signal dropouts, sounds like it's a little off of the input frequency, probably audio peaks causing the deviation to fall outside the passband of the repeater input.

Every couple of minutes, hearing a short telemetry burst, crystal clear with no distortion... guess that's the stream flow gauge sharing it's data.

On a lighter note... some kid is absolutely tearing up a xylophone...

N4VZB

ncdadof3

Premium Subscriber
I dont know if this has anything to do with it but NCSHP and Henderson co SD had a manhunt on saturday i dont know if they they found him but they were tracking him with dogs and a helicopter but they were on viper.

trumpetman

Database Admin
Heard the very same thing on a trip up the Parkway. Got a SignalStalker lock when I was passing Pisgah. I heard kids and instruments but couldn't really makeout what I was hearing exactly...seems to jive with what everyone else is saying so far.

SCPD

QRT
169.505 is an allocated wireless mic frequency so that explains the band director thing. But the repeater is supposed to be PL'ed

Last edited:

ecps92

171.8750 uses 169.5000 as the input.
Common wireless MIC's also use '''169.5050''' which explains the wireless MIC [School - near the repeater site], and I would be the Dog Hunters/Trackers might be using some sort of VHF [similar to the news Crews] IFB system for Comm's [unless they really are FEDS on 169.5000]

For what it's worth... getting it at about a sold S9 in Kings Mountain, NC.

Looking at the HP-1 RF power plot, the signal level does not fluctuate, so I'm betting on a repeater output also.

Like the other post, sounds like I'm hearing a band director talking on a wireless mic, with intermittent signal dropouts, sounds like it's a little off of the input frequency, probably audio peaks causing the deviation to fall outside the passband of the repeater input.

Every couple of minutes, hearing a short telemetry burst, crystal clear with no distortion... guess that's the stream flow gauge sharing it's data.

On a lighter note... some kid is absolutely tearing up a xylophone...

N4VZB

Status
Not open for further replies.