173.975 BNL

Marcy57

Premium Subscriber
I did a search on this freq. not too much by the strength of the signal and the
discussion between two engineers I would say it,s Brookhaven National lab?
anybody has any input ...let me know I have BNL on other freq.s but not this
one...73,s Marcy

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Clear can be on analog and or P25. There are federal conventional freqs and many use a Pl or DCS tone, just like how a nac code is used on p25. They let different agencies operate on the same freq without hearing each other. Color codes are used with DMR and RAN codes are used with NXDN.

Was there a code on your screen where the nac is usually displayed when you see a P25 freq in use?

Marcy57

Premium Subscriber
no...NAC ...nothing just two engineers discussing technical stuff, I did a
search on here I put in BNL and I see a post on here from a member in CT.
who posted "173.975" susp. BNL...thats all I got trying to find something
on it...73,s Marcy

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
No Dave in clear...not enc..if thats what you mean?...Marcy
Hi Marcy, a network access code is for p25 conventional digital frequencies and it's similar to PL tones on analog frequencies. You need the right network access code to break the squelch. Your radio is probably on search for the NAC. If you look in the database you will see that the other frequencies are conventional analog frequencies, this frequency is a conventional digital.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Sorry Dave I was posting and was interrupted and then came back to the Post. By the way Marcy this frequency is assigned to fire service.

Marcy57

Premium Subscriber
Hi Marcy, a network access code is for p25 conventional digital frequencies and it's similar to PL tones on analog frequencies. You need the right network access code to break the squelch. Your radio is probably on search for the NAC. If you look in the database you will see that the other frequencies are conventional analog frequencies, this frequency is a conventional digital.
thank you for the input. I,ll keep at it ....73,s Marcy

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
If I could suggest Marcy, just Google radio frequencies for Brookhaven National Lab and it'll take you directly to the page in the radio reference database. This frequency is indeed listed as fire service for BNL. It will save you the trouble of having to post on the Forum. :)

dave3825

Premium Subscriber

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
It's NAC 864
Keep listening to it Marcy. You will figure out who they are. That's half the fun of this hobby! I won't give it away unless you really beg me. :)
I had looked earlier and did not see 173.975. I do see 171.975 is listed to BNL as fire related. Is she maybe picking up the input freq?

Ah hah... I am not paying attention. oh, I'm bad, could be the input frequency because she lives in the same town as the lab!

I noticed my mistake as soon as I saw that discrepancy in the NAC pro 106 gave

Screenshot_20220514-095532_Samsung Internet.jpg
I'll try to pay better attention, I just got another cup of coffee ;)

Marcy57

Premium Subscriber
Have you seen/heard any additional traffic on that channel to capture the PL/DPL or NAC in use by the Engineers ?
no nil.....I checked it out all weekend and this morning no joy...maybe they only use it at certain times not to interfere with the main freq./channel? we did that at the cemetery like go to ch. 2 or something like that for instance? just a thought...73,s Marcy