• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

18-20 Gauge to 16 Gauge wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Im running a small light that draws 1.6 amps max. From the switch to the fuse box (car fuse box) im running 18-20 Gauge wire. Near the switch im placing an inline fuse, but the wire gauge on either side of the fuse holder is 16 Gauge.. is it okay to go from 18-20 Gauge wire to 16 Gauge wire? I know not to go from a smaller number gauge to a smaller number wise due to increased resistance... but is the other way around okay? Never had this come up, thanks

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
You are correct. The smaller number equates to larger diameter wire. 18 gauge, 20 guage wire will carry 1.6 Amps but going to 16 gauge will carry more. *Be sure to fuse the 16 gauge wire appropriately* because it will carry a few more amps.

Consult the latest National Electrical Code for exact amperage of the wire you may be using or get yourself an Ugly's book for quick reference.

Connecting the 16 gauge wire in series with the 18 ga. is not a problem as long as you fuse the 16 gauge low enough so as not to overload the 18 ga. but enough to carry the current to power your light. If it is an automotive type fuse (the colored blade type) you shouldn't use more than a 5 amp fuse. The same goes for an inline AGC type glass barrel fuse - no more than 5 amps.

Last edited:

RobKB1FJR

Premium Subscriber
I remember gauge simply by 12 Gauge Shells are bigger then 20 gauge shells. I'm not an electrician I'm a nurse and it helps to remember this with needles since they use the gauge as a size.

SCPD

QRT
Thanks for all the help! Everything is hooked up and running great. Its just a little LED light, max output by manufactured spec is 1.6 amps. I put in a 2 amp fuse and no problems yet. Ive got spares handy. Thanks again!

Only other issue was that I had to use a ring connector for 14-16 gauge wire on my 18-20 gauge line. Still works fine

Status
Not open for further replies.