18 Sept 2021 NE PA mil comm

Status
Not open for further replies.

wv2vvl

I heard a call on 121.5, then another. I caught the following:

2333Z 121.5 'Cessna ????, this is VICTOR THREE FOUR ZERO FIVE. How do you hear on Guard?' It sounded military but IDed with odd c/s.

I sat on that channel but there was nothing further.

The OM was very strong - an aircraft. With the recent TFR activity in my area I've gotten used to hearing the military on this channel.

I wonder how many private aircraft monitor Guard?

Jack

Last edited:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
FAA says it's mandatory for all aircraft to monitor guard if capable. Mostly I hear air liners talking to each other. Military interceptions are done on guard as we've all discussed. One of the problems in the past few years is all of the shenanigans and horseplay over certain parts of the country cause planes to turn the volume down and then they forget to turn it back up LOL.

The military has its own distress frequency or what is called MAD military air distress. 243.0

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
Sometimes other civilian aircraft are requested by ATC to contact other aircraft on 121.500 to tell them to come up on a particular frequency. This was probably the case. In the CAP - you will often hear Phila radar try to contact the aircraft first on guard and then may request other aircraft for assistance. The last choice is having the F16s or USCG helos do the intercept.

Status
Not open for further replies.