18 year old charged with stealing radios in Suffolk Co. NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireradio

Send your comments to the FCC

If you're a fellow amateur radio operator, and you're as annoyed with this little **** as I am, send your [polite/professional, but firm and direct] thoughts to the FCC asking for his license grant to be revoked:

fccham@fcc.gov

Last edited:

WPUF920

W3mot

If you're a fellow amateur radio operator, and you're as annoyed with this little **** as I am, send your [polite/professional, but firm and direct] thoughts to the FCC asking for his license grant to be revoked:

fccham@fcc.gov
I would, but he is only "charged" with the crime, i beleive he has to be convicted of it before any action by the FCC, but i will inquire as im sure other "Hams" will or should do so also....

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
I did business with Steven about three years ago. He bought an antenna from me for hand held scanners. He seemed like a smart kid, polite, and professional for his age. I wanted to help him get a start in radio, sent him a bunch of extra stuff for free. Frequency CD, Monitoring Times Anthology CD, coax adapters, more antennas, etc.

Here is the unbelievable part! I trusted him, shipped the stuff out before I received payment. He emailed me the day he received it, and thanked me. A few days later I received his cash in the mail. Go figure?

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Considering the background that has come up here I'm beginning to wonder if I'm as familiar with his activities as I think I may be. First, some years ago there was a severe case of jamming involving a group of three individuals in Queens that involved Amateur and public service frequencies that escalated into physical violence. In that case BTW a taxi driver was severely beaten. It turned out they were associated with an adult who got nabbed for stealing radios from the NYPD, so happens he was a radio tech for the department.

A few years later it started up again, this time in central Long Island and was the subject of an investigation by LIMARC and the FCC. Eventually the jammer got caught, unfortunately I don't have the details not being closely associated with the club or its members.

Now it starts up again in the very same area which makes me wonder if it's been KC2SGZ/W3MOT all along. Seems to me if he has a prior conviction on Grand Theft which may be possible and certainly would be if convicted this time considering the value of the radios yanking his license and barring him from ever obtaining any kind of FCC license in the future is another distinct possibility. Trouble is there are so many convicted felons running around with FCC licenses it looks like they just don't care.

Oh and BTW, QRZ is well known for the lulz factor and this little modification to his profile looks like the work of Secret Squirrel to me... ROTFLOL!!!

securitymikey

In response to a prior post if this guy is breaking the law by jamming FD and other public safety freqs then going around and stealing these agencies radios do you think just by yanking his ham ticket he is gonna stop? I doubt that as he jammed them before he had the licenses. And the FCC doesn't care because they did nothing to him while he screwed around with the FD sometimes while at active calls where they needed the radios. They send him his "fan mail" and he just throws it in the trash and keeps doing what he's been doing. He even threatened an off duty PO over the air on a local ham repeater and still nothing happened. He has been caught on camera stealing and nothing happened then either. He is gonna walk again and just be even worse than before just wait and see. Good job to SCPD for getting him this time around...

Last edited:

FFPM571

im pretty sure if they caught him with all these radios where he is headed he wont be on the air for a few years.

kd8jhc

Here is the unbelievable part! I trusted him, shipped the stuff out before I received payment. He emailed me the day he received it, and thanked me. A few days later I received his cash in the mail. Go figure?
Please tell me he did not actually send "cash" in the mail.

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
Premium Subscriber
Please tell me he did not actually send "cash" in the mail.
unless he wrapped it up in plain paper, dont think anyone could really tell if its just a letter but cash by mail?? I say its luck it didnt go missing.

dw2872

Premium Subscriber
On 07-10-2009, 11:00 AM he wrote, "WTF is a taxi company doing with digital radios?? They don't need those!!! Meet me over there with your crowbar and duffel bag! :lol: "

---

I guess he didn't just start lately huh?

cifd64

Premium Subscriber
I got curious and did a little research, then got even more curious. Bohemia is on the south shore of central Long Island while Jackson Heights is in Queens so does he have a second home or did he fail to change his address with the FCC since being assigned his vanity callsign in 2008? Either way considering the neighborhoods the kid has money so why steal the radios?

W3MOT
Riddle, Steven
3347 91st St
Jackson Heights, NY 11372

Mike just jumped in here and caught me off guard (;->) so in post edit I say thanks for providing valuable clues. Check out the prices and the phrase "I have a ton of these" which raises the biggest red flag I've seen in years! Amazing, simply amazing just how DUMB this kid is!
You must not know much. He lived in an apartment complex in Bohemia. Jackson Heights is no Bedford either. I know this because he cracked open our repeater system and thats where the FCC found antennas hanging out of his window. He is a hack, and he should not be allowed near a radio for the rest of his life.

He presented a serious threat and dnager to firefighters in my department by posing as a fire officer on the air, stating that houses were on fire that were not, and houses that were not on fire, that were.

chankel

Given his pathological behavior, I'm surprised he hasn't also tried the "hero arsonist" route. Or perhaps he has and no one has caught him yet...

IW_RADIO

You must not know much. He lived in an apartment complex in Bohemia. Jackson Heights is no Bedford either. I know this because he cracked open our repeater system and thats where the FCC found antennas hanging out of his window. He is a hack, and he should not be allowed near a radio for the rest of his life.

He presented a serious threat and dnager to firefighters in my department by posing as a fire officer on the air, stating that houses were on fire that were not, and houses that were not on fire, that were.
CIFD was NOT the only FD this sicko was hacking into and jamming. Several other FD's & VAC's were jammed, pagers set off, sirens and traffic lights were activated, and overhead apparatus room doors were opened at all hours of the night!

Steven is ALOT more dangerous than the common thief. He had the knowledge and the means to hack into many secured communications systems and secured computer systems that jeopardized PD, FD, EMS, Public Safety, Security and Airport operations. I truly hope that the goverment puts away this loser for a very long time!

chrismol1

Premium Subscriber
CIFD was NOT the only FD this sicko was hacking into and jamming. Several other FD's & VAC's were jammed, pagers set off, sirens and traffic lights were activated, and overhead apparatus room doors were opened at all hours of the night!
What the hell was he thinking while he was "playing" with everything?
Truly a scumbag that has no clue of what hes doing

Status
Not open for further replies.