1802 cloning damaged rigs? Repair options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC9LQV

I attempted to clone two 1802s with a homebrew cloning cable. I double checked the connections to make sure that it was a straight-pass cable, but apparently something was wrong. The cloning setup went fine, but after a few moments the TX radio gave an error message. I checked my cable again, reseated it, and got the same results.

The problem now is that neither radio will recognize the hand mic. When I plug the mic in, the number keys light up, but that's it. No other buttons or functions work.

I did a full reset on both radios, as well as unplugging them and letting them sit with no power for a while. No change.

So that's just great. I bricked two radios at once.

My first question, though I'm not holding out much hope, is that there's some trick or reset I'm not aware of to get the radios to see the mics again.

Though my more relevant question is probably going to be, how much does Yaesu charge for repairs? Do they have a minimum/maximum? Do they have a preset schedule for certain types of repairs? I'd prefer not to spend $25-30 to ship these two radios to them only to find out they want $100 a piece to repair them.

Is getting these radios repaired even worth it?

Any help or info would be appreciated.

KC9LQV

Yaesu FT-1802M, mobile 2-meter rig. I should have specified, but they're so common I forget sometimes that people might not know the model number.

Status
Not open for further replies.