196 / psr600??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nitsud

Quick question. I have been using with much success a pro-106 on my local simulcast system. I am looking to purchase a 197 (need the base model for my car). Is there any technical difference between the 197 and the psr600?

QDP2012

From the RR Wiki, it looks like there might be a difference in the accessories that are included from the factory, but as mentioned above, the radios are essentially the same.

RR Wiki: Pro-197
RR Wiki: PSR-600

Hope this helps,

Last edited:

dkf435

Have 3 106 and 197s and a 600 and 500 and I program the 500 and clone everything from it, the firmware version are different between the RS and GRE versions though.

David Kb7una

Nitsud

thanks for the replies. With GRE out of the picture as a company, as far as firmware updates, does it matter between the two? And are the firmware updates still accessible on the internet

I have always had unidens, so this is all new for me

Nasby

Both are excellent scanners that perform EXACTLY the same on analog, simulcast, digital trunking, etc.

The updates are available on the RS and GRE sites.

The firmware updates are pretty minor bug fixes and even with the most basic firmware, the radios have incredible performance.

jfhtm350

The 197 has a backlight dim button. Bright, dim, off. The buttons are all jumbled up. It can be hard to find the right button going down the road when your used to the 106 layout. I clone my 197 from my 106 all the time.

cherubim

Premium Subscriber
Some people swear that the PRO-197 has better performance than the PSR-600. I certainly haven't noticed that and I suspect any differences are due to quality control and firmware.

One neat thing that the PSR-600 includes is the all important USB programming cable.

QDP2012

With GRE out of the picture as a company, as far as firmware updates, does it matter between the two?

In other threads people are discussing the products pictured on Whistler's site. The pictures look like the Radio Shack products with slightly different color cases, not the GRE products. So, I would conclude that the 197/106 would be a closer match to what will be released in the future. But, that's just my guess.

Hope this helps,

dkf435

Some people swear that the PRO-197 has better performance than the PSR-600. I certainly haven't noticed that and I suspect any differences are due to quality control and firmware.

One neat thing that the PSR-600 includes is the all important USB programming cable.

Have the 3 197s and the 600 all on the same 8 port Stridsberg multicoupler with the same scan lists with alternate banks engaged at different times and they all pretty much sound the same and have the exact same sensitivity.

David Kb7uns

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Lighing Differences

Quick question. I have been using with much success a pro-106 on my local simulcast system. I am looking to purchase a 197 (need the base model for my car). Is there any technical difference between the 197 and the psr600?

When I look at my Win500, I see only one difference, the light level being able to go to dim.

Nitsud

thanks I looked there earlier but couldn't find it. Those manuals are great!

SCPD

QRT
Whistler

Why dont you wait until the Whistlers come out one of them is the 197 /600 clone .And it will be in cool black.

Status
Not open for further replies.