• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

1995 Corvette 460 MHz antenna solutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans13

We're wanting to mount a UHF antenna on my son's 1995 Corvette. He is going to be using GMRS and possibly some UHF licensed LMR nearby in frequency at some point in the future (but not as important). The retracting antenna motor for FM stereo is no longer working so we are considering that location for a 1/2 wave antenna (due to no ground plane). The car is his daily driver and not quite the prettiest to look at for now.

Some things we have considered:
- putting sheet metal for a ground plane under the headliner on the targa top and drilling for a mount
- a through-the-glass antenna on the windshield or back window
- a replacement, fixed mount FM stereo and UHF antenna (no ground plane) where the FM stereo antenna is currently
- a replacement, fixed mount UHF antenna (no ground plane) where the FM stereo antenna is currently and an aftermarket windshield FM stereo antenna

He currently uses a handheld to hit the repeaters. Therefore, anything outside the vehicle should be at least a little improvement.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Several years ago, I saw a photo of a 1/4 wave VHF antenna mounted to the frame of a Corvette. It was mounted horizontally behind the rear bumper skin and completely out of sight. According to the story, it worked just fine for getting into local repeaters.

Hans13

Several years ago, I saw a photo of a 1/4 wave VHF antenna mounted to the frame of a Corvette. It was mounted horizontally behind the rear bumper skin and completely out of sight. According to the story, it worked just fine for getting into local repeaters.

That's a good idea. I need to check into it. Thanks!

RadioGuy7268

20+ Years back - when that 95 Vette would have been a pristine new car - Our shop got called in to troubleshoot a new Corvette with a Bose stereo system that was cutting in & out for FM entertainment radio reception. We determined that the Broadcast station the customer liked to listen to the most had a relatively poor signal in the area, but that wasn't noticeable on most vehicles or radios. When you combined the Corvette's poor antenna system, along with the amplifier on the Bose Stereo, the customer's radio was on the edge of dropping signal quite often, and every time the signal was weak, the amplifier dropped out, creating an undesirable result for the listening audience.

Reason to tell that story - is that we found out that Chevrolet had a Technical Service Bulletin out on the problem, and the "fix" was to install a ground plane kit - which they (Chevrolet) made. The Dealership got one in - and we got to install it for them, but it was really nothing more than just a washer with some brazed on braided wire spider legs that had adhesive tape on the ends. The washer got sandwiched in between the stock antenna & the fiberglass body. There was a diagram that showed where to run each leg of the ground plane and affix it. You might find a copy of that old TSB floating around online somewhere.

Hans13

a Technical Service Bulletin out on the problem, and the "fix" was to install a ground plane kit - which they (Chevrolet) made.

As you can imagine, my ears really perked up when I read this! I will do some internet searching...

Thanks. :)

Hans13

Does anyone know of a 1/2 wave or any other antenna that will work without a ground plane in that factory FM stereo antenna spot? We have no problem using a separate windshield FM stereo antenna.

What's a good name-for-the-money through the glass antenna for UHF?

Status
Not open for further replies.