• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

1998 Dodge Dakota

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 98 Dodge Dakota with 4x4 and a 5 speed manual. There's already a CB bracket in the ceiling of the truck, so my new Cobra 25 Nightwatch is going in there when it gets in. I just want ideas for a 2 meter (or dual band if i decide to get one instead of a straight 2 meter) and a base scanner or two. Also would like ideas on the antennas. Thanks in advance

mjthomas59

I've got a 1999 Dakota R/T(auto transmission) and i've got 2 scanners and 1 cb mounted. I mounted a Pro-2051 under the dash centered with the center console(i've got bucket seats and the large center console). I then mounted the cb under the scanner using 3m double-sided tape. I had to add an external speaker for the scanner because of the location of the cb, but i've got some loud exhaust so the external speaker was a big help.

I also put in a 250d using a floormount similar to the one here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-Floor-Mount...photoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

I put a 5/8 wave VHF antenna on a mag mount in the bed in the front drivers side corner. I was able to route the coax through a factory drilled drain hole in the bed and then drilled a very small hole in the rear of the cab to bring the coax inside. I then ran it under the plastic trim that runs along the floor where the door closes and then under the dash and to the scanner. I had a glass-mount cb antenna(worthless i might add) which i installed when i first got the truck back in 2001(long before i had a clue about cb's) and the coax from it was run behind the trim and up under the dash to the cb. I also bought a hood mount from firestik http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/ss-184.htm in the nmo variety and mounted an all-black VHF 1/4 wave whip to it for the 250d. The coax was run through the firewall very near the brake cylinder and into the cab. I then ran it under the center console and then wrapped it around the floor mount several times to help keep the slack out of the way.

Sorry i don't have any pics. I by no means have a real "professional" install, but it looks good and does a good job for me.

imcleish

I have a 2000 dakota, I used NMO brackets from Larsen and mounted to the front fender, all you do is back out a bolt, put the bracket on, and re-tighten the bolt, allows for 1 or more per side, but i'm not that ham-sexy.

you can then run the antenna cable through the plug in the lower A-pillar, and there is room behind the fender for any excess wire.

The CB antenna mount that's already on there comes out on the passenger side of the front of the bed so i know what you're talking about there. I figured I'd put one antenna on the opposite side for the scanner or the Ham and then haven't decided on the rest. the tricky part is just working around that floor shifter, so I may have to come up with something else, like maybe on the glove box or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.