1998 F-150- Mobile Yaesu for VFD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raptor05121

I just got done wiring mine in today. Its an old hand-me-down I got from a family member and did some work to get it powered up. Yaesu FT-2400H Transceiver 2-meter 144 MHz mated to a brand-new Radio Shack antenna.

DSC_2184.jpg

DSC_2188.jpg

DSC_2189.jpg

Hard-mounted to my center console. The fused power wires go under the center console, crossing under the drivers seat to the kick panel (you can see the wire running between the two), up the kick panel where ground is attached to a factory body screw. Power keeps running under the floor mat, to the center of the dash and up the dash to the 12vDC constant wire on my CD player. The Radar Detector on the windshield is wired into my ignition feed.

Antenna coax runs under the center console where most of the excess is spooled under there. The final length runs (visible in the backseat) to the backseat, around to the third door, tucked behind the back rest, and up to the manual sliding glass door. Magnetic base.

WouffHong

2400h

Had one - Great rig, but there is (If I recall correctly) a small cell-type battery with mounting tabs in the back of the head that kills the radio if it goes dead. So, if it does quit, look to that as a possibility. However a bear to find and/or actually replace! :(

Side thought - please tell us you're not using it as a commercial rig - stability and frequency inaccuracies can mess up a FD.. (BTDT) :roll:

Da Wouff..

Raptor05121

Yeah the call battery is just for memory retention purposes. That's not an issue since its wired to the constant 12vDC. I just manually shut it off every time I get out.

And no, I use it as a scanner. There's no reason for me to TX in my truck, I wait to get to the station and call them via the Motorola's on the trucks. Dispatch is only interested in what trucks respond, not what person.

WouffHong

2400h

Yeah the call battery is just for memory retention purposes. That's not an issue since its wired to the constant 12vDC. I just manually shut it off every time I get out.

And no, I use it as a scanner. There's no reason for me to TX in my truck, I wait to get to the station and call them via the Motorola's on the trucks. Dispatch is only interested in what trucks respond, not what person.

The battery seems to have been for more than that - My old dysfunctional 2400H won't even wake up with that dead battery - a syndrome others have reported. I applied 3V DC to the teminals (or whatever it was - maybe 1.25 v) and it came alive. but even with prime power applied to radio, nada. It's a bear to get out - Did you have to replace it and find a duplicate battery if so - where? :)

BTW: In an extreme emergency, FCC will not ding one for using whatever means available to save life and property.

But if not already a ham, many clubs (like ours) conduct quarterly one-day courses and even same-day exams. We had 9 Body-Recovery Team members taught, tested and licensed in one long day last month. Ham Radio has long been a participator in that endeavor.

Da Wouff
http://rettysnitch.org

Raptor05121

Hm. I have two (another used to work, now its a parts rig) and have never had that problem. But if that ever happens, I'll know where to look!

Status
Not open for further replies.