• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

1998 Jeep Cherokee Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb8srx

Premium Subscriber
ok guys, I need your help, have a 98 cherokee 4x4 and want to install radios......problem is, its a manual, heres what I got

2 Spectra A7s
yaesu Ft-100
Kenwood TM-260
uniden BC-780XLT

does anyone have any ideas for mounting. I.E. good console?
I was thinking about trying to keep the original console, but at this point I dont care, except for the shifter and the 4x4 and ebrake are all issues, so please let me know if you have any Ideas

Attachments

• Picture 124-1.jpg
    Picture 124-1.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 5,879
  • Picture 125-1.jpg
    Picture 125-1.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 2,803
  • Picture 126-1.jpg
    Picture 126-1.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 17,981
  • Picture 127-1.jpg
    Picture 127-1.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 3,486
Last edited:

fineshot1

All I can say is good luck. Back in 2003 I had to install a Fed Signal Vision light bar, Siren, Siren Speaker, WigWags, Strobes and two radios(with remote heads) into a 2000 Jeep Cherokee SUV with similar OEM console & interior. It was a real PITA job. I never could find a after market console that would do the job so the radio heads, light bar/siren controller mounting brackets and everything got screwed into the side of that little plastic oem console so it was real crowded. Also - behind all the plasitc moldings there was almost no room to route wiring for the light bar and other equipment. If you do find an after market console please post the pics of your install & good luck.

500C1

mounting options

check out this site for mounting accessories.
http://www.rammount.com/hamradio.htm

You might also want to check

http://www.autolaptoplinkinc.com/1465763.html scroll down until you find this.

POLICE-CB-HAM RADIO MOUNT

(SKU #2999)
INSTALL YOUR CB-HAM OR POLICE RADIO WITH NO DRILLING NO HOLES. JUST SET THE (INCLUDED) CLAMP OVER THE SEAT RAIL TIGHTEN THE SET SCREW AND YOUR DONE. JUST AS STRONG AS IF IT WAS BOLTED TO THE FLOOR.

Price: $29.99

fineshot1

500C1 said:
check out this site for mounting accessories.
http://www.rammount.com/hamradio.htm

You might also want to check

http://www.autolaptoplinkinc.com/1465763.html scroll down until you find this.

POLICE-CB-HAM RADIO MOUNT

(SKU #2999)
INSTALL YOUR CB-HAM OR POLICE RADIO WITH NO DRILLING NO HOLES. JUST SET THE (INCLUDED) CLAMP OVER THE SEAT RAIL TIGHTEN THE SET SCREW AND YOUR DONE. JUST AS STRONG AS IF IT WAS BOLTED TO THE FLOOR.

Price: $29.99

The OP stated he has 5 radios to install so I did not feel that these or similar would do the job for him.

kb8srx

Premium Subscriber
fineshot1 said:
The OP stated he has 5 radios to install so I did not feel that these or similar would do the job for him.
I agree, thats kinda what I had in mind for my Pro-96, however I dont see those working for the Spectras or the 780, thank you though for the new site, I hadnt seen either of those yet, and are now bookmarked.

andy404ns

kb8, here's what i did in my '98 cherokee (nonsport):

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2874214470097616563jcolDD

I know you said you have a buch of radios and you might be able to buy a stacking mechanism and just stack each radio on top of the other on the side of the shifter like that. But other than that I don't know what to tell you. Jeep Cherokees suck for radios.

I also have a thin CB sitting right on the dash above the radio controls.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I worked for an agency w/ a '97 cherokee. We only had 4 items total (1 radio, 1 scanner, light bar control and siren control). They were mounted in a bracket b/n the gear shift (it was an automatic) and the center console. It was a pain and the gear shifter would not go into Low 1. I think it would still go into Low 2... not that we used either one, but nice to have.

I don't see how you can mount your radios.

kb8srx

Premium Subscriber
I received a catalog in the mail a while back, that had a console made specifically for a stick shift, however I cannot find that catalog anywhere, and I cannot find it online, has anyone else heard of this?

kadetklapp

I'm familiar with installs on a Jeep Cherokee, and it can be done, but it is tricky. What we ended up doing was making a "stack." In it was a V-Con siren/light control, VHF no-name radio, and a Moto MCS-2000 on the top. We started with a very sturdy cell phone mount screwed to the console to the right of the cupholder/e brake area. We then supported it with a "strap" from the back of the radios to the floor where the support strap was bolted to a seat mount. This worked well for a while. Ultimately we beefed it up with some fabrication and it was very sturdy, but uncomfortable for a passenger.

rocknrun

I have a 2000 Cherokee. Not sure they are still available, but I put a Shelf-It in (you remove the sun visors, the Shelf-It bolts in their place and spans the entire width of the windshield. You then bolt the sun visors back to the Shelf-It. I have a Yaesu FT-1802 and a scanner mounted on it, along with an extension speaker. Still room for a couple more radios. Probably wouldn't help you with any remote head mounted stuff though.
Go to this website and download their PDF catalog. Shelf-It is on page 10 http://www.vdpusa.com/page2.html

Last edited:

kb8srx

Premium Subscriber
ok guys, I had to abandon the idea of a console type, and I had to give up my ashtray (I dont smoke so glad to get rid of it) fabricated a plate to fit the insert of the ashtray, mounted the brackets to the place and then mounted the plate to the center console, things are still a little dirty in the pics, but you get the idea.

Attachments

• 316891274.jpg
    316891274.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 7,891

rocknrun

That really looks good. I just acquired a Midland VHF lo with remote head for 6 meters. I think I'll give that a try. How hard was it to fab the plate for the ashtray?

kb8srx

Premium Subscriber
not hard, just need the aluminum, some type of shears and a file, Im an aircraft mechanic so I had all the tools and equipment handy, Im not sure why It took me so long to see that, and if you get the plate just right it will fit right down in the layout of the ashtray, and then a couple of screws just to the inside of the ashtray, so If I ever get rid of the jeep, I can just pull the plate and put the ashtray right back in it.

kb8srx

Premium Subscriber
Im just not sure where to put the BC780XLT, thinking about making that a remote mount also, I have enough ribbon cable laying around I might just give it a shot

af5rn

kb8srx said:
Im just not sure where to put the BC780XLT, thinking about making that a remote mount also, I have enough ribbon cable laying around I might just give it a shot
In my old Cherokee, I had two 780xlts (best Bearcat ever made!), and also struggled with where to mount them. I ended up simply wedging them in-between the seats and the centre console, with the little flip-down elevators resting on the console to keep them level and not falling down. It worked out great! Kept them right at my fingertips for easy operation. Of course, I ran them on external speakers, so the audio was not a factor. I'm also a shorty, so the seat stays relatively forward. If you put the seat too far back, then it won't hold the radio in place.

Hopefully that will work for you.

rocknrun

kb8srx said:
not hard, just need the aluminum, some type of shears and a file, Im an aircraft mechanic so I had all the tools and equipment handy, Im not sure why It took me so long to see that, and if you get the plate just right it will fit right down in the layout of the ashtray, and then a couple of screws just to the inside of the ashtray, so If I ever get rid of the jeep, I can just pull the plate and put the ashtray right back in it.

It's always nice when you can do a permanent install and then come trade-in time easily put it back to original. I put a new XM Sat radio in my wife's VW Beetle last month. Found a removable corner on the switch blank area that even had a part number on the back of it. No worries about drilling into that. I'm not a machinist but I think I'll see what I can come up with for mounting the 6 meter remote head on my Cherokee ashtray. Thanks for the pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.