1st and 2nd Production Risk New Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
There is always a risk in producing something New.
It looks like the 1st small run went off without to much problems.
So 2nd BIG patch hits a snag and its not discovered till we get our Hands on.
Is it because we wanted them Yesterday and we where on UpMans and Uniden case to get it to us now ? and there where to exited to get it to us sooner then Later and that's why they did not catch it ? Who knows.
They are here to make it right. They are not hiding from it. Can they please 100% of us........
Properly not. Is all the problem with the Scanner ? Or is it Location and user error? Who knows.
I was one of the first to jump on the 396t, who ended up sending it in because the Faceplate Letter where wearing off. Did this stop me from Jumping in and get the 436 knowing there may be an issue ? No it did not.

JANFINE

Premium Subscriber
Isues with Uniden's new scanners

1 No EDACS SCAT systems
2 No Control Channel only in Custom Search mode
3. Service Search not as easy to use like with the XT model scanners
4 Intermitent squelch tail problem on both the BCD536HP and BCD436HP on
the end of transmission.

whsbuss

1 No EDACS SCAT systems
2 No Control Channel only in Custom Search mode
3. Service Search not as easy to use like with the XT model scanners
4 Intermitent squelch tail problem on both the BCD536HP and BCD436HP on
the end of transmission.

5. <65% decoding on Motorola Type II systems
6. Missed transmissions
7. low volume that AGC doesn't address
8. too much bass quality on audio

AndrewGS

I agree with all these issues, but again, as long as Uniden addresses them in future firmware updates I don't see them as fatal flaws. Now if they ignore these issues I'll be unhappy with my $500 Vietnamese-made scanner.

mancow

Database Admin
I'm going to be pissed of they adjust the audio response. Finally we have some rich audio and people are complaining.

SCPD

QRT
I did not start this to "*****" or anyone else to rehash the known problems.
Just to simple state there will be allays something going wrong between 1, 2 ,and 3rd Production.
They Uniden in MOST cases have address some Issue.
What I have seen they addressed what should have being working right the way THEY see it.
As I stated LOCATION USER ERROR AND WHAT ELSE.
I do not work for Uniden, Did not learn how to turn on a Computer till I was in the late 20.
I'm twice that now and started with a Pro 95 about 8 or so Years ago.
ALSO do YOU know of any other Hobby or ....
any other Company allowing one of there Employee answer any of our Question ?

(Wow I did not Know we can not use a Female Dog in heat) starting with B

Last edited:

Boatanchor

Don't bet the farm on some of these issues being fixed with a firmware update either.
The problem with poor/unreliable P25 decode in NFM mode is a real concern as that may well be a hardware issue much like the dodgy headphone circuit.

Some of the videos being posted depict an XT scanner on one side and the HP on the other. The XT is the only scanner receiving signals on a standard Phase 1 channel.

I now think myself fortunate that I didn't sell my XT's to race out and purchase the x36HP and it's looking increasingly likely that my XT scanners are going to stay in my shack for quite some time yet :)

brucewarming

New scanners, The people who have been assembling electronics for years are not confused putting together another radio. I have been around for some time and each time a updated radio comes out there's a big learning curve and expectations that the new radio will find gold in the ground.
I do believe many of the problems are people who in the first day attempt to do something and forget one step on programming such as "Save" your file before you attempt to upload." Then run to the Blog and scream bloody murder. For every negative post you see here, there's 10 people who are learning without posting.

whsbuss

Don't bet the farm on some of these issues being fixed with a firmware update either.
The problem with poor/unreliable P25 decode in NFM mode is a real concern as that may well be a hardware issue much like the dodgy headphone circuit.

Some of the videos being posted depict an XT scanner on one side and the HP on the other. The XT is the only scanner receiving signals on a standard Phase 1 channel.

I now think myself fortunate that I didn't sell my XT's to race out and purchase the x36HP and it's looking increasingly likely that my XT scanners are going to stay in my shack for quite some time yet :)

Not to pile on but it seems all Uniden did was to release a new line of scanners with pro-type features but forgot to address the most important feature - reliable audio. For me they don't receive/decode digital any better than the HP-1. I'm starting to believe they didn't change any of the engineered receiver, just added lots of neat user features.

ButchGone

The problem with the idea that "it can be fixed with a firmware update" is that customers like me will have a totally non functioning $500 investment until the time Uniden gets a "fix" released. I don't want to spend weeks or months looking at a $500 piece of equipment as it gathers dust.
It would be nice to hear that customers with defective 436s can either send them back for a full refund, or get a working replacement.
BG..

PJH

Premium Subscriber
I will tell you, that the audio is outstanding and is much closer to what we hear on the Motorola radios. Trust me, this sounds closer to the "real thing" and is great. Don't screw with the audio.

Anyone know the serial number range of the affected units?

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
The problem with the idea that "it can be fixed with a firmware update" is that customers like me will have a totally non functioning $500 investment until the time Uniden gets a "fix" released. I don't want to spend weeks or months looking at a $500 piece of equipment as it gathers dust.
It would be nice to hear that customers with defective 436s can either send them back for a full refund, or get a working replacement.
BG..

I guess I got lucky. Outside of the white specks inside the front display window (I'll get around to cleaning it one of these days) I haven't had any of the problems folks have reported. My scanner has been working flawlessly from day one. A huge, vast, amazing improvement over my BC796D. I'm very happy with this purchase and can't wait to see what new goodies are coming next month - hopefully a firmware update to add new features and activate the ones that weren't ready for "prime time" when the scanner was released.

-AZ

kb8rvp

I got both the 436 and 536HP and love them both. I programmed my local 800MHz APCO25 digital system in FM not NFM and the audio is fantastic just the AGC needs some work to even things out.

I have no display issues and fit and finish is perfect on the 436.

Decoding on my local non-simulcast system is perfect and on the Genesee County Simulcast it does a very good job.

AGC is my only real complaint at this point and it would be nice if the alert light stayed on a little longer.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.