• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

1st Dual Band DMR HT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I got an email from Radioddity customer service about the MD-5R. A summary:

Out of the box, the MD-5R will be Tier I compatible.

The radio can be updated to Tier II via programming software.

The upgrade software will be made available on Baofeng's factory web at some point in the near future. The site is currently under construction.

It's unclear if the $10 is a one-time cost for the software, or a per-radio fee. I'm awaiting clarification from Radioddity.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
No. 128 channels, if 16 channels per zone, that's 8 zones.
Really? That's not what the promo video states! :eek:

"16 Memory Channels and 2 Zones"
rl9dW.jpg

bharvey2

I did some research on the Wouxun last night. Wouxun's own website lists it as only 16 channels and no mention of zones. I downloaded the programming software from their website and the default software shows two zones only. I tried adding another but was met with a message in Chinese (presumably). I'm going to bow out on this one.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I misread the post, thought it was referring to the MD-5R, which does support 128 channels just like the UV-5R.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I misread the post, thought it was referring to the MD-5R, which does support 128 channels just like the UV-5R.
No problem. The OP was about a single radio, but at least three others have been mentioned in the replies thus far...

...it's easy to get confused! :lol:

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

So the DM-5R is not something to buy right now for ham use as Tier II is a future upgrade with no time frame given.

73 Eric

wa4ong

I did some research on the Wouxun last night. Wouxun's own website lists it as only 16 channels and no mention of zones. I downloaded the programming software from their website and the default software shows two zones only. I tried adding another but was met with a message in Chinese (presumably). I'm going to bow out on this one.

The copy I downloaded was password protected, what URL did youuse?

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Being such a curious person, I ordered this BaoFeng DM-5R today so I can see if it actually works at all... ;)

WPXS472

Update on Baofeng DM-5R tier II

There has been some discussion about the Baofeng DM-5R being only tier I compatible. I asked Radioddity about that and received this reply today.

Dear Customer,

We have an update for you on the status of the BaoFeng DM-5R.
Your DM-5R is ready to be shipped. We are confident you will enjoy the crisp, clear sound of the DM-5R. The DM-5R comes out of the box supporting only MOTOTRBO Tier I.
Thanks to the help of our Radioddity Review Team, we have found a bug in the software that makes updating the radio to Tier II inherently risky. If upgraded incorrectly, the user faces the possibility of disabling the radio, which would then need to be sent back to the manufacturer for repair. Radioddity does not suggest that you upgrade your DM-5R to Tier II manually. Manual upgrading should be done only by professionals.
We are working to fix this. We will re-release the DM-5R in one month’s time with a system update. This re-release will have Tier II standard.
Here are your options:
Maintain your order status, receive the DM-5R with the current software in the next 5-10 days.
Transfer your order to a DM-5R with upgraded software, for no additional price. Receive your radio October 20-30th.
Cancel your order, receive a full refund.

We are working to provide detailed documentation to assist in the Tier II upgrading process, to support those who wish to upgrade their DM-5R.

N4KVE

I knew it was too good to be true. Just JUNK

We have an update for you on the status of the BaoFeng DM-5R.
Your DM-5R is ready to be shipped. We are confident you will enjoy the crisp, clear sound of the DM-5R. The DM-5R comes out of the box supporting only MOTOTRBO Tier I.

Thanks to the help of our Radioddity Review Team, we have found a bug in the software that makes updating the radio to Tier II inherently risky. If upgraded incorrectly, the user faces the possibility of disabling the radio, which would then need to be sent back to the manufacturer for repair. Radioddity does not suggest that you upgrade your DM-5R to Tier II manually. Manual upgrading should be done only by professionals.

We are working to fix this. We will re-release the DM-5R in one month’s time with a system update. This re-release will have Tier II standard.
Here are your options:

- Maintain your order status, receive the DM-5R with the current software in the next 5-10 days.
- Transfer your order to a DM-5R with upgraded software, for no additional price. Receive your radio October 20-30th.
- Cancel your order, receive a full refund.

We are working to provide detailed documentation to assist in the Tier II upgrading process, to support those who wish to upgrade their DM-5R.

Please respond to this email and let us know which option you would like to take going forward.

Sincerely,
Radioddity

Last edited:

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I knew it was too good to be true. Just JUNK.
haha, just got this from Radioddity in regards to the DM-5R.. I knew it!
Yeah, I got the same email. I've opted for #2 and wait for the 'fix' to be done, and save the extra expense/aggravation.

Why did you spend the bucks if you know it's "JUNK"???

N4KVE

Why did you spend the bucks if you know it's "JUNK"???
You must be confusing me with somebody else. You've read all my threads where I preach against buying all these Dollar Store radios & to only buy Motoeola DMR radios. I did previously say that anybody who plans to buy one of these should wait until they are delivered already doing tier 2. But I guess this means you have the $70 wonder radio on order.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
You must be confusing me with somebody else. You've read all my threads where I preach against buying all these Dollar Store radios & to only buy Motoeola DMR radios. I did previously say that anybody who plans to buy one of these should wait until they are delivered already doing tier 2
Okay, I just "assumed" since you got the email you must have ordered one. Evidently someone forwarded theirs to you.

I'd rather spend a few dollars to gain first hand data and not simply parrot what someone else claims to be true. Not a big deal.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.