• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

1st Dual Band DMR HT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

The Baofeng DM-5R working with each other, and not other DMR radios seem to point to Baofeng misreading the standard. This can be easy to do with some standards. The software update that fixes the vocoder problem seems to point to this and to the lack of interoperability testing with other DMR radios.

The Baofeng marketing maybe directed to companies that only buy DM-5R for their communications needs, so working with other vendor's DMR radios is not considered very important.

73 Eric

df5zx

"The DM-5R can't be upgraded to Tier 2, as the hardware (HR-C3000, RDA1846) does not support it.

Well, I got a DM-5r PLUS today as well and was playing around with it. When I connected it to the programming software, I got the name of the device displayed as "HR-C5000". As the programming software is a pain anyway, I would like to know, if that system name has already been this "HR-C5000" on the first models or not? If it really would be a HR-C5000, there would be hope for a real TIER-II operation ....
I tried to make some simplex communication possible between the BAOFENG and my RETEVIS RT3, both on TS1 and TS2, but the BAOFENG stayed mute. On the RT3 I always could hear the voice from the DM-5R plus ...

Also, using the DM-5R on a hotspot with a DV4MINI the same behavior was shown: My transmissions with the DM-5R could be heard, but I did not hear anything ... Should I also update the firmware with the "TIER-II" update of radiodiddy (what is just a codec upgrade, I know) or is there something else wrong ?

In the menu of the DM-5R plus the CP. ver. is shown as 102016, and within the CP programmer, on the page DMR Info, the firmware is shown as 1101 of 2016-09-21 ...

tnx es 73 de df5zx

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
In the menu of the DM-5R plus the CP. ver. is shown as 102016, and within the CP programmer, on the page DMR Info, the firmware is shown as 1101 of 2016-09-21 ...
Mine shows the same name, version number, and firmware # and date.

The problem is that there is no AMBE+2Vocoder in this radio!

df5zx

Mine shows the same name, version number, and firmware # and date.

The problem is that there is no AMBE+2Vocoder in this radio!

Hmm, after some experimentation and filling up the lists with more entries, my DM-5R+ started to work with my DV4MINI hotspot, both connected to DMR-PLUS and BRANDMEISTER. I most probably had forgotten to set some data to the right values. It works out of the box without the "TIER-2" upgrade from Radioddidy...

Regarding the Vocoder chips, I am really wondering. When I was searching for some info about the hr-c3000 system, what was meantioned often before, I got to some info sheet in chinese, what also mentioned the hr-c5000. There it was written, that it is able to do tier-2 ...So, you think it has only a soft-codec for AMBE2+ ?

As soon as I am home again I will check this DM-5R+ for the known problem that it does send always on TS1+TS2.

At least for hotspot with dv4mini and simplex operation, I can confirm that it works.

73 de df5zx/yl3je

seth21w

I have a couple questions about this dm5r first can you scan analog and digital at the same time, also i wont be using it to transmit just recieve local dmr traffic, will it recieve standard simplex dmr if i have ts and cc programmed?

KD8DVR

Just run away from this POS quickly and avoid getting sucked into the Big Black Hole. :wink:
Absolutely. Unless you want to use them as an Echolink simplex node. Sooner or later Radiooddity will clearance them out to cover their losses. I'll grab some for that purpose. Maybe they offer an extreme discount now, to buy customer returns.

Radiooddity says "they can communicate with any Motorola radio" Big whoop. All my radios can too...in analog mode.

Means nothing.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All comments are personal opinion only and may not imply actual fact.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Radiooddity says "they can communicate with any Motorola radio" Big whoop. All my radios can too...in analog mode.

Finally, after two requests for a refund, I opened a PayPal dispute. Radioddity replied for me to email support@radioddity.com and request an RMA. I did and just this morning finally received an RMA so I can return this POS to them. I note that the return address is in Lenexa, Kansas so there's no problem with having to send it back to China! :cool:

I also note that their sales page for the DM-5R now clearly states "Tier II, Slot 1 only..."

They promise a refund within two days of receiving a tracking number of the package being shipped back.

N4KVE

I also note that their sales page for the DM-5R now clearly states "Tier II, Slot 1 only..."
There's a word for that. If it's tier 2, it does 2 time slots. If it only does 1 time slot, it's tier 1. Can't have your cake, & eat it too. Too bad there's not a Gov't agency that can go after these people for false advertising, or importing JUNK.

FrankNY

Federal Trade Commission

Too bad there's not a Gov't agency that can go after these people for false advertising, or importing JUNK.
It used to be the FTC (Federal Trade Commission), but I'm not certain that they really care that much about false advertising these days, especially when the (monetary) stakes are low.

Regards,

Frank.

Australia4001

Premium Subscriber
This one looks interesting .. Poster from a recent ham show I believe .

2ea1a4fc24320848ca764fa4de235a4f.jpg

ATEAMPI

Here it is folks. The new Tytera MD380/390 killer. The new BAOFENG DM-5R dual band DMR HT. Only $70. Be the first to buy the cheapest DMR radio known to man. Coming soon to a store near you. The TYT radios will soon be but a memory, as hams rush to buy this new radio.
2016 BaoFeng DMR! BaoFeng DM-5R Dual Band DMR Digital Radio 2000mAH Two-Way Radio, Accessories | Radioddity
Junk!!! Anytone 868 beats it in every way anyone that buys it is a fool

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.