1ST Radio Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phreakin318

i will be getting my 1st radio soon hopefully but there are so many choices in the cheap chinese radios since thats all i can afford...tomorrow is my bday(so i get some cash as presents)

Hareto H5118 5W 1.0" LCD 400~480MHz 199-Channel Walkie Talkie w/ FM Radio - Black $43.10

choice 2

UV-200 1.3" LCD 3W Dual-Band 99-Channel Walkie Talkie w/ FM Radio $45.60

i really dont like the looks of the uv but it says its duel band and shows the other is not, unless someone wants to sell me1 cheap:) or if anyone knows where i can get one for $60.00 or less cheaper the better but i think i need a duel band for what i wanna use it for lol any help appriciated thanks

69Z28

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Without knowing where you live - there is no way for sure to recommend a good radio for you.
Your basic problem is a lack of funds.
I doubt if someone is going to just give you a radio.
My advice would be for you to SAVE your money until you can afford one good radio and antenna.
The coax is going to make or break any good radio set up.
2 watts is not going to set the world on fire and unless your only goal is to get into one or two local repeaters, I would not recommend a handheld for you.
You might be disappointed, if there is no radio traffic in your immediate area.
Ham radio does not work like a cell phone.
I would suggest that if you are a new ham, for you to look for a good club to join and a Elmer to help you out - give you advice. Find someone to give you some old QST Magazines and read as much about amateur radio as you can find. The internet is full of ham radio web sites and advice.

Phreakin318

Without knowing where you live - there is no way for sure to recommend a good radio for you.
Your basic problem is a lack of funds.
I doubt if someone is going to just give you a radio.
My advice would be for you to SAVE your money until you can afford one good radio and antenna.
The coax is going to make or break any good radio set up.
2 watts is not going to set the world on fire and unless your only goal is to get into one or two local repeaters, I would not recommend a handheld for you.
You might be disappointed, if there is no radio traffic in your immediate area.
Ham radio does not work like a cell phone.
I would suggest that if you are a new ham, for you to look for a good club to join and a Elmer to help you out - give you advice. Find someone to give you some old QST Magazines and read as much about amateur radio as you can find. The internet is full of ham radio web sites and advice.

oh by no means am i asking for a radio, i am gonna buy one it just might have to be a cheap handheld at 1st, i checked around my area and seems there are several different clubs, my stepfathers sisters husband is a ham operator and has been for 40+ years i think he said, but really dont get along with him that well, i will try to contact a few people in my area as well, and i have alot of coax and a antron99 that i used with my cb setup and have a connector that connects it to my scanner would this work on other radios if i have connectors? i used to have a tower that i used for my cb antenna but he gave it away to the kin folk Free....still bit aggervated over that.. i checked the test and Wow there actually not easy as i expected i think i was looking at tech examples maybe try for something easier? thanks for the input as well

Status
Not open for further replies.