1st time in top 50

Status
Not open for further replies.

oly8ball

My feed hit 79 listeners tonight. We are having our first winter storm of the season. I know this might not be a big deal to some but I was surprised. I have only been broadcasting for a month or so.

Attachments

• scantotal.jpg
    scantotal.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 423

oly8ball

so far not so much snow......mby inch or so....but the rain/ice and wind that we got also making for really slick roads.

KJ6HCB

Wow...congrats! My high is only 18 and usually is only 3-5 so having almost 100 is crazy!

What kind of setup do you have going? Post some pics of your scanner, antenna setup, etc.

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Where do they all COME FROM???

I've wondered the same thing about people suddenly "discovering" my rural-county feed (Humboldt Co, CA), though mom nature has helped me. I used to probably average 3 or 4 listeners, sometimes up to 10, and sometimes zero. Heck, I don't even listen to my own feed (or my scanner) most of the time unless I hear sirens.

I got a huge boost two years ago this month when we had a pretty strong earthquake that hit the wire services and cable TV networks, and I registered a 1226 on the "Listener Scale" within a couple hours. Lindsay later reported that at one point I had hit over 1300. Doing a Google search the next day I found that the news mediums were among them, and several of the articles had even included my feed's URL.

26724d1263109631-feed-provider-issues-rrstats-1-9-10quake.jpg

Then again last year the Japan earthquake's Tsunami aimed itself toward us and our harbor, and again my numbers took a big leap, but I don't remember how high.

Wow...congrats! My high is only 18 and usually is only 3-5 so having almost 100 is crazy!
How long have you had your feed running? Short of a disaster it just takes time for the word to spread. As you can see above right up til the "58" listeners arrived, my stats were very much like yours for the year or so until that earthquake came to town. My county has just about half the population yours does (134,000 vs 269,000), and the "big city" - Eureka - has 27,000 compared to SLO's 45,000. And both of us are coastal/mountainous and both have CSU campuses.

I'm certainly not wishing any disasters on you of course, but that's probably what it will take to give you a quick boost rather than a slow, steady increase. I still average in the teens, but whenever anything happens I can fairly quickly jump to the 70s, 80s or more. It's gotta be the sirens. :roll: I'll take a look at my stats some mornings and see a big spike, and then I have to go to my archives to find out what all the excitement was (usually a fire, sometimes a lengthy pursuit) that was out of earshot to me here on the fringes of the fringes.

Believe it or not, my workhorse feed scanner is a $29-on-closeout Radio Shack Pro-83 connected to a $15-clearance-sale "bow-tie" looking unity-gain-at-best antenna on my roof at 100' above sea level. Fortunately almost everyone in the county is on VHF high repeaters (except CHP of course), with NOTHING trunked and nothing digital. Yet.

Last edited:

oly8ball

What kind of setup do you have going? Post some pics of your scanner, antenna setup, etc.
I'm using my old pro-41 hooked up through my mic input on pc and I made my own antenna with 25' rg6 that I put the original whip on the end of. Pretty caveman setup but it works.

slash

My feed hit 79 listeners tonight. We are having our first winter storm of the season. I know this might not be a big deal to some but I was surprised. I have only been broadcasting for a month or so.

In 2+ years of running that feed, the highest I had was in the 190's, and that was in June/July of 2011 I believe... Generally it's either severe weather or life threatening situations that drag on for a while will gather the most listeners around here.

Rleshane

Kind of cool, ain't it? My feed for a small to mid size city (an hour outside of Boston) averages 10-15 listeners. We had a major fire in a huge historic condo building and I hit my record high of over 480. At the time it was enough to bump my feed to the number one spot over Chicago PD (all be it for less than an hour).

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
I have to ask,what happens when you get high views or alot of people listening to your feed at once? Do you get anything? Award? Badge?

Status
Not open for further replies.