$2.4 million for emergency dispatch and police radios approved in Warren

Status
Not open for further replies.

rivermersey

Premium Subscriber
A multimillion-dollar plan to improve police radio communications in northern Macomb County (MI) and in Warren (MI) has received final approval from city officials.

The Warren City Council voted unanimously to allocate $2.45 million for the purchase of new emergency dispatch consoles and radios for officers.

“Our police and fire dispatch is in dire need of upgrades,” said Police Commissioner Jere Green, adding parts and service for the 911 dispatch center at the Warren Police Department are difficult to find.

"The Macomb Daily"
The Cities Mentioned Are Northeast Suburbs of Detroit, MI
Macomb County, MI
Monitorable on "Michigan's Public Safety Communications System (MPSCS)".

$2.4 million for emergency dispatch and police radios approved in Warren

SparkyCindy

So, 7 years ago, my hometown wasted 9 million dollars on what? Curious why the reporter didn't elaborate any further. Any information as to what the new comms systems will be? Will it be APCO type II?

m297

They didn't want to pay user fee's. They controlled everything on there own without any control from Lansing.

Now that the fee structure changed and they need to update there system they figured it would be a good time to change.

There system played very well....

Plus they had event channels loaded in there radios so they could have interoperability with folks on the mpscs, so they basically had the best of both worlds.

As they rightfully should.

Can someone explain to me why they had a STANDALONE P25 system in the first place?

Also will Warren towers be absorbed into Macomb Co Simulcast sites?

Smac61

Feed Provider
I think it important one realize Warren put in it's first (analog) 800 system in the early 90's when the county and state we're still running conventional VHF/UHF systems. This system served them very well for 15 years when it was UPGRADED to the current P25 800 system. At that time the MPSCS had no coverage in the area and the county system didn't exist yet, add to this the fact that it was purchased on a grant, one can see it would have been fiscally irresponsible for them to do anything else...

...now that everyone else has finally caught up to them, there ready to join in. It's a really great move for all parties.

freqs

I remember when they used 460.325 460.375 and and a few other freqs with a lot of comet was still using 39.900 for UC work before the change to there own system .It was state of the art for sure.Then upgrade to p25 of that system Idont know if the radios have the same issue but there is a few dead spots on my scanner in the city so looking forward to the change I just hope they don't scamble all comes like Livonia.We residents of the city love to know whats up in the City I totally understand the Undercover work or sensitive stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.