2.4ghz WiFi antenna in attic. Groundplane important?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonziBuddy

I'm sharing wifi with my family that lives down the street. I bought a 1 watt amplifier and a 8dbi magnetic mount antenna. I've got them both in my attic setup like this.

It works perfectly and the distance is great. However, because of the propagation of 2.4ghz, will sticking it all the way at the top of the attic like this actually hurt the performance?

I'm also using an old CD changer as a form of ground plane. Will this be effective in any way?

Attachments

• IMG_4333.jpg
    IMG_4333.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 5,722

darg

It works perfectly and the distance is great. However, because of the propagation of 2.4ghz, will sticking it all the way at the top of the attic like this actually hurt the performance?
I'm also using an old CD changer as a form of ground plane. Will this be effective in any way?

I think you answered your own question. When it works, it works :)

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
I don't think you can any better than that except for the above comment about using a yagi as long as it isn't pointed at the vertical steel object to the right of it.

If you have closr neighbors I would do a scan of what channels they are using. I would recommend using 1 or 11 if you haven't changed it from the typical channel 6 which is usually the default.

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
I'm also curious, how far away is the other house and how good of a signal are they receiving?

Also what kind of antenna do you have and amp? Ineed to extend the range of mine also.

prcguy

Most 2.4GHz antennas like you have are a collinear type and do not require a groundplane. For a little more gain in the direction of your family you can place a metal sheet or even a wire longer than the antenna about 1" behind the antenna.
prcguy

AI6DX

Most 2.4GHz antennas like you have are a collinear type and do not require a groundplane. For a little more gain in the direction of your family you can place a metal sheet or even a wire longer than the antenna about 1" behind the antenna.
prcguy
Agreed......... And... move the antenna away from the metal vent pipe you have it so close to in the picture. That way, you can move your lap top across the street for instance and have little interference.

Status
Not open for further replies.