2.5Ghz wireless link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve2004

Here is the job I'm facing:

two farm house, they are 1/2 to 3/4 miles appart.
one has Cable Internet (same as comcast for you guys)
the is no way I'm dragging an RG11 that long...

I want to go wireless bettween the two home.
I've seen some "plate" look-a-like that brought the 2.5Gz
in some commercial building.

what would be the most economical way to bring an internet connection
to the second home?

(I am not concern about neibhor... db noice, the nearest house it like 4 miles away.
and we have a direct line of sight, btw

Thank you all for helping me here!
I am in Canada so I don't thing the same rules as the FCC apply to me here regarding the signal level 'I think'

N

N_Jay

steve2004 said:
Here is the job I'm facing:

two farm house, they are 1/2 to 3/4 miles appart.
one has Cable Internet (same as comcast for you guys)
the is no way I'm dragging an RG11 that long...

I want to go wireless bettween the two home.
I've seen some "plate" look-a-like that brought the 2.5Gz
in some commercial building.

what would be the most economical way to bring an internet connection
to the second home?

(I am not concern about neibhor... db noice, the nearest house it like 4 miles away.
and we have a direct line of sight, btw

Thank you all for helping me here!
I am in Canada so I don't thing the same rules as the FCC apply to me here regarding the signal level 'I think'

Cheapest would be WiFi to some good antanas. I would start with corner reflectors mounted at least 10 feet over line of sight.

But the WiFi boxes in metal boxes just below the antennas.

kc8zdf

Maybe look for some type of repeater system like a bussiness uses that has good watt output with good antenna mounted hi like what police use and stuff. antenna that has good db gain. If that help at all. Like commercial stuff.

73 kc8zdf

N

N_Jay

kc8zdf said:
Maybe look for some type of repeater system like a bussiness uses that has good watt output with good antenna mounted hi like what police use and stuff. antenna that has good db gain. If that help at all. Like commercial stuff.

73 kc8zdf

For internet access?:roll: :confused: :roll: :evil:

Thayne

I hope it works. Just never let the cable company find out, the are fast to sue for things like that. My 90 year old mother lived 3 houses away until she died and I ran some RG6 along the back fences for about 150 feet from my house so she could watch baseball games. Somehow they found out and were going to sue me for 2K, I had to get a lawyer to get out of it--

shortwaving

N_Jay...

Has some good advice. This is definately do-able, Steve.

But this is a mixed bag. Signals at the frequencies you wish to use are definately VERY directional, which can actually work to your advantage. Price is going to be a real downer, however. But check eBay / eham for antennas optimized for the frequency range you need. With a little searching, you should be alright.

Cabling to the antennas will also be crucial, and N_Jay's advice to put the WiFi devices right below the antennas is good advice indeed, if at all possible.

However, be mindful if you have cause to need a service call from your service provider, they probably won't be too thrilled with your installation, so keep Plan B in mind.

i.e. Perhaps an extra router inside the house with an active, live i-net connection as cover so the tech doesn't go nuts when they visit.

If you're not reselling the service, and if you have a multiple-comoputer agreement, you should be alright.

Ping: Thayne

Too bad, perhaps some tech roaming around on an unrelated service call busted 'ya.
Or someoone saw you doing it / saw the cable, got pissed and dropped a dime on 'ya.
Or you had a substandard connex that was leaky as all Hell and a tech rolled past with a CLI and figured it out.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
WiFi is actually 2.4GHz

you can get some hardware here

http://www.hyperlinktech.com/

I wouldn't worry about the CATV company suing you over setting up a wireless network. just use AES WPA2 and no one will know what you're doing with it. not sure if it's true or not but I've read that is you have a valid amateur radio license, you can transmit higher power on WiFi. since I haven't gotten around to building a better wireless network, I have not looked into this much.

Last edited:

gcgrotz

Some WiFi guys over here made a link between 2 mountaintops with standard power outputs but using modified TV dishes. I think the distance was around 50 miles.

This should be doable with off the shelf parts. MFJ sells a 2.4GHz yagi antanna.

Skud

Feed Provider
Middleville, MI-Barry County(Near G.R. & Ionia
I work for a cable company so I know about that. There is a device techs use to look for leakage and can tell if lines are connected and ran to a house that should not have cable :)
Thayne said:
I hope it works. Just never let the cable company find out, the are fast to sue for things like that. My 90 year old mother lived 3 houses away until she died and I ran some RG6 along the back fences for about 150 feet from my house so she could watch baseball games. Somehow they found out and were going to sue me for 2K, I had to get a lawyer to get out of it--

Status
Not open for further replies.